1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the mass of matter required to accelerate a spaceship

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship is powered by a matter-antimatter reactor. Suppose you have a 23000-metric-ton spaceship and wish to accelerate it to 0.03 c. What is the total mass of matter and anti matter required, assuming a 100 % efficient engine.

2. Relevant equations
    Really not sure about this question, but thinking that E=mc^2 and F=ma will be used somewhere

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure how to approach this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2
    You are right about ## E = mc^2 ##. This gives you the amount of matter/anti-matter one needs to annihilate to obtain energy ## E ##. However, ## F = ma ## is not good - it is only valid for slow motion, and 0.03 c may be too high for it. Instead, consider the relativistic kinetic energy of some mass M moving at 0.03 c.

4. Apr 2, 2013 #3
    Ahh, I understand what I did wrong now. I overlooked the fact that the spaceship only has kinetic energy while it is travelling. I solved for KE, then plugged that back into E=mc2. Rearranging for m I got the answer of 1.0x104 kg, which was correct. Thank you very much. Also if you don't mind answering, how did you type those equations in that math font ? I am new here.

5. Apr 2, 2013 #4
    Hit the quote button my message, and see the code for that. While you are there, click the ## \Sigma ## symbol at the top right of the text box, it will have a reference for much more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted