Question about net force and acceleration

In summary, the system will have the same acceleration as long as the weight of the mass hanging from the pulley is equal to the magnitude of force F.
Alexstrasza

Homework Statement

Picture related
[/B]
1. There is a system of two blocks tied to each other. There is a force F on the small block causing the system to move at a certain acceleration.

Find the acceleration.

2. (This is the one I'm not sure about) Instead of force F, we add a pulley with a weight that's equal to force F. Will the acceleration become smaller/bigger/remain the same?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Net force = ma
a = Net force (F) / total mass (m+M) = F/(m+M)

2. Logically I feel like it doesn't matter "which force" pulls the system, to the right. But if we use the equation, then a = F/ total mass and in this case there are three masses instead of two, so acceleration is smaller?

Is this correct? I am confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexstrasza said:

Homework Statement

Picture related
[/B]
1. There is a system of two blocks tied to each other. There is a force F on the small block causing the system to move at a certain acceleration.

Find the acceleration.

2. (This is the one I'm not sure about) Instead of force F, we add a pulley with a weight that's equal to force F. Will the acceleration become smaller/bigger/remain the same?

Homework Equations

F=ma

1. Net force = ma

2. Logically I feel like it doesn't matter "which force" pulls the system, to the right. But if we use the equation, then a = F/ total mass and in this case there are three masses instead of two, so acceleration is smaller?

Hi , i think all the block will be moving with the same acceleration and velocity. PF~ = ma projected on the x-axis . if they are lying on ground , but pulley problems , u must split the vectors i guess.

Became smaller, the acceleration that move M and m is given by the tension of the string that connect m and mx : T= (m + M)*a not more by F, because F acts also to the other mass that is falling, ( mx )

{ T= (M+m)*a
{F-T= mx * a

Solve this system for T and a

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexstrasza said:

Homework Statement

Picture related
[/B]

Find the acceleration.

Homework Equations

F=ma

1. Net force = ma

I'm not sure why you are confused. You have explained that in the second case the same force has more mass to accelerate, hence there will be less acceleration.

What makes you doubt your own analysis?

PeroK said:
I'm not sure why you are confused. You have explained that in the second case the same force has more mass to accelerate, hence there will be less acceleration.

What makes you doubt your own analysis?

I was not sure that it is the same force. I thought maybe in the second case we need to add a force to the net force, like tension, that I missed.

This was a question on a test today and some students' answer was different from mine.

Cozma Alex said:
Became smaller, the acceleration that move M and m is given by the tension of the string that connect m and mx : T= (m + M)*a not more by F, because F acts also to the other mass that is falling, ( mx )

{ T= (M+m)*a
{F-T= mx * a

Solve this system for T and a

Okay, I see! The third mass is not the same as F force.

(M+m)a=F-mxa
(M+m+mx)a=F
a=F(M+m+mx)

Nice! So I got the answer right!

Thanks everyone. :)

If anything, an easier way you could look at that second situation is to just treat all 3 blocks as an entire system that has the same magnitude of force F that will cause all three blocks to accelerate. Since the weight of the mass hanging from the pulley is equal to the magnitude of force F, we know that the second system will have a lower acceleration because now it accounts for an extra mass, not just m and M.

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it. It is calculated by finding the vector sum of all the forces.

2. How is net force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration will be.

3. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all of the individual forces acting on an object. Make sure to include the direction of each force, as this will affect the overall net force.

4. What is the relationship between net force and motion?

The net force acting on an object will determine its motion. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity. However, if the net force is non-zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. Can net force ever be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This means that the forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force that is less than zero. In this case, the object will experience a deceleration, or a decrease in velocity.