1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the momentum operator in a quantum state

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A gaussian wave packet is given by the formula:
    Ψ(x)=(1/(π1/4d1/2))eikx-(x2/2d2)

Calculate the expectation value in this quantum state of the momentum squared.
    2. Relevant equations
    <p2>=-ħ∫Ψ*(X) (d2Ψ(x)/dx2) dx
    ∫e(-x2/d2) dx= d√π
    ∫xe(-x2/d2) dx =0
    ∫x2e(-x2/d2) dx = (d3√π)/2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is my attempt at a solution.
    physics_1.jpg

I got ħ2k2. The correct answer is ħ2k2 + ħ2/(2d).
    All help is very much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Working in momentum space by first Fourier transforming the given wavefunction might help minimize the possibility of error during calculation.

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3
    Thank you. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that. Did you see an error in my calculation?

5. Apr 29, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I didn't go through the detail but it is strange that you still have ##x## after finishing the integral, although the terms containing it eventually cancel in the final step. You were doing a definite integral over ##x##, so logically this variable should not appear after the integral is evaluated.

6. Apr 29, 2016 #5
    I was doing a definite integral? Where? I shouldn't be doing definite integrals.

7. Apr 29, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are, in calculating the expectation value you integrate from ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##.

8. Apr 30, 2016 #7
    Oh. I thought that because the limits were infinite that it would be an indefinite integral.

9. Apr 30, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The second derivative of ##\psi(x)## is not correct.

10. May 2, 2016 #9
    Thank you for that correction. e should be to the power of ikx-(x2/2d2.) But it still doesn't change the answer. The mark scheme said that for some reason (ik-(x/d2))2 simplifies to -1/d2. I don't know how this is possible!

11. May 2, 2016 #10

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be not getting the correct second derivative yet. Ok, could you please show how you got the first derivative ##\frac{d}{dx}\psi(x)##?

12. May 2, 2016 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're also missing a trick in that ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x e^{-\lambda x^2} dx = 0##.

You should expand your quadratic term and the term in ##x## will vanish under the integral. That's the simplification you're missing.

But, as @blue_leaf77 says, you need to get your differentiation right first.

13. May 3, 2016 #12
    I tried the derivative again but it doesn't simplify to what you are saying for some reason:
    1462286207396172051231.jpg

14. May 3, 2016 #13

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second derivative looks right. But, you're still taking an indefinite integral for some reason:

##<p^2> =\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \dots dx##

Which is a number, not a function of ##x##.

15. May 3, 2016 #14
    The final answer should be ħ2k2+(ħ2/(2d2)). But I get the following:

1462288327861_1646868398.jpg

16. May 3, 2016 #15

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You made a mistake when calculating ##v##. If you want to do this problem via integration by part, then you should have left ##v## as a function, not a number. In other words you shouldn't evaluate it yet with the given limits. I strongly suggest that you compute ##\langle p^2 \rangle## directly term by term using the relations you already have under the relevant equations part.

17. May 3, 2016 #16
    They gave me the equation ∫e(-x2/d2) dx= d√π. That is what I used to calculate v. I'm not sure how to get the other equations in my working out. I don't get ∫xe(-x2/d2) dx =0 anywhere in my answers so I can' use it.

18. May 3, 2016 #17

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's resulting in a number, right? Not a function, as how ##v(x)## should be.
    You have to solve the following integral
    $$
    \langle p^2 \rangle = \frac{-\hbar^2}{d\sqrt{\pi}} \left( \frac{1}{d^4}\int_{-\infty}^\infty x^2 e^{-x^2/d^2} dx - \left(k^2+\frac{1}{d^2}\right) \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-x^2/d^2} dx - \frac{2ik}{d^2} \int_{-\infty}^\infty x e^{-x^2/d^2} dx \right)
    $$
    You can completely compute those three integrals using the formula in your original post.

19. May 3, 2016 #18
    Hmm okay. How did you derive that integral? I'm confused as to how you got that equation.

20. May 3, 2016 #19

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You derived the integral, at the bottom of the image in post #12. I merely rearrange the terms and add ##-\hbar^2## and the necessary integration element ##dx##.

21. May 3, 2016 #20
    Sorry, I really am not understanding this. Please could you explain how my equation turns into the integral? I can't figure out how to get from what I wrote in post #12 to the integral. I don't think I was taught how to do that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted