Ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of finding a particle in the ground state of a 2L-well, which has been expanded symmetrically from an initial infinite square well of length L. The probability is calculated using the ground state wavefunctions for the original and expanded well, and the result is compared to the answer provided in a textbook. The mistake is found to be in the interpretation of the probability as the square of the wavefunction overlap.
cpsinkule

Homework Statement

Assume a particle is in the ground state of an infinite square well of length L. If the walls of the well increase symmetrically such that the length of the well is now 2L WITHOUT disturbing the state of the system, what is the probability that a measurement would yield the particle in the ground state of the 2L-Well?

Homework Equations

Ground State of infinite well of length L: |ψ>= ∫√(2/L)cos(π/L*x)|x>dx from -L/2 to L/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the well has expanded, the current state of the system is no longer an eigenstate and needs to be renormalized because the range of integration has changed which yields
ψ=√(1/L)cos(π/l*x).
Now, the NEW ground state is just
φ=∫√(1/L)cos(π/2L*x')|x'>dx'
so the probability of finding the particle in the new ground state is just
<φ|ψ>=∫∫<x'|x>(1/L)cos(π/2L*x')cos(π/L*x)dx'dx=
∫∫δ(x'-x)(1/L)cos(π/2L*x')cos(π/L*x)dx'dx=
∫(1/L)cos(π/2L*x)cos(π/L*x)dx from -L to L
which I found to be equal to 4/3π, but the text claims the answer should be (8/3π)2! can someone point me to the mistake I've made somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found my mistake! There is no need to renormalize the initial ground state because it is 0 outside the original limits! Also, The final integration should only be taken from -L/2 to L/2 for the same reason! but I still get an answer of 8/3π and NOT (8/3π)^2 like the book claims. Where does the square come from?

The probability is interpreted as ##|\langle \phi | \psi \rangle|^2 ## because when you sum it up for all the expansion bases, you get unity.

Thanks! It completely slipped my mind! LOL

1. What is the ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling?

The ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling refers to the lowest energy state that a particle can occupy in a potential well that has been doubled in length. It is also known as the lowest energy eigenstate of the system.

2. How does the ground state change when the length of the infinite square well is doubled?

When the length of the infinite square well is doubled, the ground state also changes. The particle now has more space to move around and thus, has a lower energy state. This results in the ground state energy decreasing by a factor of four.

3. What is the significance of the ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling?

The ground state is significant because it represents the most stable and lowest energy state of the system. It is also the starting point for understanding the behavior of a particle in a potential well with doubled length.

4. How does the wave function of the particle change in the ground state with length doubling?

The wave function of the particle in the ground state with length doubling has a different shape compared to the ground state in a regular infinite square well. It is no longer a sine curve, but rather a combination of sine and cosine functions.

5. Can the ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling have a negative energy?

No, the ground state in an infinite square well with length doubling cannot have a negative energy. The lowest energy state for the particle is always greater than or equal to zero, regardless of the length of the potential well.