Calculating the motion of a frisbee disc?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter SuicideSteve
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Disc Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
SuicideSteve
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
I just got back from playing a round of Frisbee or Disc Golf at my local course and it got me thinking... assuming that there is no wind and standard pressure, would it be possible to predict the motion of the flying disc? to predict where it will land? it's flight path?
so far I have determined that the variables would be velocity and angle the disc was thrown at, the pressure on the disc made by the air foil, the gyroscopic effect of the spinning disc... Anything I'm missing?
I think it would be fun to make a computer program that could approximate the distance the disc flew based on the disc's dimensions and and the above variables... do you think its reasonable?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For a normal Frisbee, there's usually a pitch down torque that results in a roll response. As an alternative, an Aerobie is designed to eliminate the pitch torque and roll response (you "tune" it by bending it slightly concave or convex to get it near flat).