Calculating the pressure drop in a contraction?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving water flowing at room temperature in a horizontal pipe with a sudden contraction in diameter. The question is about the pressure drop from a point upstream of the contraction to a point downstream. The conversation also touches on the use of a correction factor for the contraction and the impact of flow velocity on the head loss. The correct value for the pressure drop is determined through the use of a graph in the textbook.
PhyIsOhSoHard

Homework Statement

eW2NCpU.png

Water flows at room temperature in a horizontal pipe with mean velocity of 1 m/s. Then a sudden contraction of the pipe changes the diameter to half the upstreams diameter (##\frac{D_1}{D_2} = 2##). What is the pressure drop (##p_1 - p_2##) from a point (1) upstream of the contraction to a point downstream of the contraction (2)?

Homework Equations

Mass conservation
Energy equation

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt:
http://i.imgur.com/IDm6RVs.png

Unfortunately, the correct answer is 10500 Pa and I have no idea what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I got 8500 Pa. In your expression for the correction factor I think you need to use v2, not v1. That adds an extra 1000 Pa to your 7500 Pa. Can't imagine where the other 2000 Pa would come from ...

See attachment, page 20.

Attachments

• bernoulli compensation factors.pdf
    667.2 KB · Views: 4,339
Likes 1 person
rude man said:
Hmm. I got 8500 Pa. In your expression for the correction factor I think you need to use v2, not v1. That adds an extra 1000 Pa to your 7500 Pa. Can't imagine where the other 2000 Pa would come from ...

See attachment, page 20.

Yeah, I accidentally used ##V_1## instead of ##V_2##.

I now have a pressure drop of 11500 Pa:
qAC3p2r.png

It's still not 10500 Pa however.

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Yeah, I accidentally used ##V_1## instead of ##V_2##.

I now have a pressure drop of 11500 Pa:
qAC3p2r.png

It's still not 10500 Pa however.

I don't think you can use K = 0.5 for the sudden contraction within a closed pipe. The factor K = 0.5 is based on having a free surface present in the fluid reservoir before the fluid enters a pipe. Because there is a closed pipe on both sides of the sudden contraction, the flow will be different. The flow streamlines start to contract before the abrupt change in diameters occurs and continue to contract for a short distance after the change has been passed, leading to the creation of a vena contracta. The head loss factor K for such sudden contractions depends not only on the ratio of the diameters of the pipes ahead of and after the contraction, but also on the flow velocity as well.

The attachment discusses this phenomenon in more detail and presents a table of K-factors for sudden pipe contractions on p. 17, Table 10.3. I believe the correct K-factor for the diameter ratio and flow velocity for this case is closer to 0.37 than 0.50, which I calculate gives you close to the pressure drop of 10500 Pa.

Attachments

• ch10.pdf
    559.2 KB · Views: 3,864
Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
I don't think you can use K = 0.5 for the sudden contraction within a closed pipe. The factor K = 0.5 is based on having a free surface present in the fluid reservoir before the fluid enters a pipe. Because there is a closed pipe on both sides of the sudden contraction, the flow will be different. The flow streamlines start to contract before the abrupt change in diameters occurs and continue to contract for a short distance after the change has been passed, leading to the creation of a vena contracta. The head loss factor K for such sudden contractions depends not only on the ratio of the diameters of the pipes ahead of and after the contraction, but also on the flow velocity as well.

The attachment discusses this phenomenon in more detail and presents a table of K-factors for sudden pipe contractions on p. 17, Table 10.3. I believe the correct K-factor for the diameter ratio and flow velocity for this case is closer to 0.37 than 0.50, which I calculate gives you close to the pressure drop of 10500 Pa.

Yeah, that definitely works.
My only problem is however that I would like to use information given in the book for my lecture only. So I'm trying to figure out where in my book I can come up with this 0.37 value.

This is the closest thing that I found in my textbook:
http://i.imgur.com/7vUBDBS.png

There is the graph below which shows the contraction and expansion coefficient in terms of the area ratio.
In my case, my area ratio is 0.25 however I'm not sure which of the two graphs I'm supposed to look at? The text does not describe anything and the only thing that it indicates is two arrows pointing at opposite directions.
It seems clear that it is the graph for which arrow points to the left that gives a coefficient of 0.37 for AR=0.25

But what is that other graph that points to the right and which one do I use when I'm sitting at my exam?
I'd just like to understand this for the future lol. The text in the book does not mention anything about these graphs.

You enter the attached figure in Post #5 with the area ratio. If you have a sudden contraction, you read the K-factor using the lower curve and take the value of K from the left vertical axis. If you have a sudden expansion of area, you read the value of the K factor from the right vertical axis using the upper curve. The arrows are there to indicate which vertical axis to use.

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
You enter the attached figure in Post #5 with the area ratio. If you have a sudden contraction, you read the K-factor using the lower curve and take the value of K from the left vertical axis. If you have a sudden expansion of area, you read the value of the K factor from the right vertical axis using the upper curve. The arrows are there to indicate which vertical axis to use.

Ohh, now I get it. So the arrows are just pointing at which axis to read.
Exams are really lowering my brain capacity. Thanks! :P

1. What is a contraction in terms of fluid flow?

A contraction is a decrease in the cross-sectional area of a pipe or channel through which a fluid is flowing. This can occur naturally in a narrowing of the pipe or can be intentionally created in order to control the flow rate of the fluid.

2. Why is it important to calculate the pressure drop in a contraction?

Knowing the pressure drop in a contraction is important because it allows engineers to design systems that can handle the expected pressure changes. This is crucial in industries such as oil and gas, where precise pressure control is necessary for safety and efficiency.

3. What factors affect the pressure drop in a contraction?

The pressure drop in a contraction is affected by several factors such as the fluid's viscosity, density, and velocity, as well as the shape and size of the contraction. Other factors include the roughness of the pipe surface and the length of the contraction.

4. How is the pressure drop in a contraction calculated?

The pressure drop in a contraction can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity and density, as well as the cross-sectional area of the pipe at the contraction. Other equations that may be used include the Darcy-Weisbach equation and the Hazen-Williams equation.

5. What are some common applications of calculating the pressure drop in a contraction?

Calculating the pressure drop in a contraction is important in many industries, including chemical and petroleum engineering, water treatment, and HVAC systems. It is also relevant in understanding the flow of blood through arteries and veins in the human body.