Calculating the radius of a nucleus of a Pd-118 atom

Pd-118) would be (1.31e-15 * 118)^(1/3) = 3.66e-15 m. This is because the radius of a nucleus is about N^(1/3) times the radius of one nucleon, and the experiments have shown that the constant for this calculation is 1.31e-15. However, the equation you have used (4/3*pi*r^3 = 4/3*pi*R^3 * N) is incorrect and may be causing your answer to be incorrect. The correct equation is (4/3)pi*R^3 = N*(4/
Lt.Saccharine
Here is the question I am attempting to solve :

A proton or neutron has a radius r of roughly 110-15 m, and a nucleus is a tightly packed collection of nucleons. Therefore the volume of the nucleus, (4/3)R3, is approximately equal to the volume of one nucleon, (4/3)r3, times the number N of nucleons in the nucleus: (4/3)R3 = N(4/3)r3. So the radius R of a nucleus is about N1/3 times the radius r of one nucleon. More precisely, experiments show that the radius of a nucleus containing N nucleons is (1.310-15 m)N1/3. What is the radius of a palladium nucleus

So, in order to arrive at an answer I listed variables ,constants and equations that were known:
4/3*pi*R^3=4/3*pi*r^3*N
R= (N^1/3)*r
N=(1.3e-15)* (N^1/3)
r=1.0e-15

and so, in order decrease the number of variables given , I plugged in variables into variables:

R=(N^1/3)*r ---> R/r =(N^1/3)
N=(1.3e-15) * (N^1/3) ---> N=(1.3e-15)*R/r

so I substituted the new expression for N into:

4/3*pi*r^3 =4/3*pi*R^3 * N ----> 4/3*pi*r^3= 4/3*pi*R^3*((1.3e-15)*R/r):

pi and 4/3 cancel , show I should be left with:

r^4/(1.3e-15) = R
since r = 1e-15 , then R should equal :

(1e-15)^4/(1.3e-15)=R

And my answer is no where near the actually answer : Can you tell me what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Lt.Saccharine said:
Here is the question I am attempting to solve :

A proton or neutron has a radius r of roughly 110-15 m, and a nucleus is a tightly packed collection of nucleons. Therefore the volume of the nucleus, (4/3)R3, is approximately equal to the volume of one nucleon, (4/3)r3, times the number N of nucleons in the nucleus: (4/3)R3 = N(4/3)r3. So the radius R of a nucleus is about N1/3 times the radius r of one nucleon. More precisely, experiments show that the radius of a nucleus containing N nucleons is (1.310-15 m)N1/3. What is the radius of a palladium nucleus
So wouldn't the radius of the Pd-118 would be [itex]1.31e-15 * N^{1/3}[/itex] where N is the number of nucleons in the Pd-118 nucleus?

AM

Last edited:
?

I appreciate your attempt at solving the problem using various equations and variables. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the equation you have used, (4/3)R^3 = N(4/3)r^3, is not correct. This equation assumes that the volume of a nucleus is equal to the volume of one nucleon multiplied by the total number of nucleons, which is not accurate.

Secondly, the value of r that you have used, 1.0e-15, is not the correct radius of a proton or neutron. The actual value is approximately 0.8e-15 m.

Lastly, the equation N = (1.3e-15) * (N^1/3) does not make sense mathematically. It is important to use valid equations when solving scientific problems.

Instead, the correct equation to use for calculating the radius of a nucleus is R = (1.3e-15 m) * N^(1/3). This equation takes into account the fact that the radius of a nucleus is proportional to the number of nucleons it contains.

Therefore, in order to calculate the radius of a Pd-118 nucleus, we need to know the number of nucleons in this nucleus. Since Pd-118 has an atomic number of 46, we can assume that it has 118 nucleons (46 protons and 72 neutrons).

Using the equation R = (1.3e-15 m) * N^(1/3), we get R = (1.3e-15 m) * (118)^(1/3) = 2.8e-15 m. This is the correct answer for the radius of a Pd-118 nucleus.

In summary, it is important to use accurate equations and values when solving scientific problems. I hope this explanation helps you understand where you went wrong and how to arrive at the correct answer. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you calculate the radius of a nucleus of a Pd-118 atom?

To calculate the radius of a nucleus, you can use the formula: r = r0*A^(1/3), where r0 is a constant (1.2 x 10^-15 m) and A is the mass number of the atom. For a Pd-118 atom, the radius would be approximately 6.27 x 10^-15 m.

2. What is the significance of calculating the radius of a nucleus?

The radius of a nucleus is important for understanding the size and structure of an atom, as well as its stability and binding energy. It can also provide insights into nuclear reactions and nuclear forces.

3. Can the radius of a nucleus be measured experimentally?

Yes, the radius of a nucleus can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electron or proton scattering, X-ray diffraction, and atomic force microscopy.

4. How does the radius of a Pd-118 nucleus compare to other nuclei?

The radius of a Pd-118 nucleus is relatively small compared to other nuclei. For example, the radius of a hydrogen nucleus (proton) is approximately 0.87 x 10^-15 m, while the radius of a uranium-238 nucleus is approximately 7.4 x 10^-15 m.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the radius of a nucleus?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the radius of a nucleus, such as the choice of model used, the assumptions made, and the experimental uncertainties in measuring the mass number and radius. Additionally, the radius of a nucleus is not a fixed value and can vary depending on the energy level and other factors.