Calculating the resistance between 2 terminals of circuit

In summary, the speaker is struggling to figure out the equivalent resistance between points Y and Z in a circuit with multiple resistors. They share their attempts and drawings, and another user suggests simplifying the circuit by adding a new resistor and arranging all components in the same direction. The speaker eventually figures out the solution and shares it for future reference. There is also confusion about the question itself, as the answer may differ depending on which points are being considered.
TiernanW

Homework Statement

hqKz4CF.jpg

Homework Equations

1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I can do part (i) okay. It is simply 1/12 + 1/12 = 1/6, so R = 6. But I have been trying for ages to figure out part (ii). I tried re-drawing the circuit in different forms but it didn't help me.

The one that makes most sense to me is 1/12 + 1/12 + 1/6 which gives the total resistance as 3, but the correct answer is 3.75, and I seriously can't figure out why no matter how hard I try.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your drawing. Label the resistors A,B,C,D etc

Likes TiernanW
Equivalent resistance is asked between Y and Z. Which resistances are in series and in parallel when viewed from terminals Y and Z?

Likes TiernanW
Why do you figure these things out as soon as you post them? I was honestly at this for ages and just got it.

Here is my solution for anyone viewing this in the future:
http://i.imgur.com/nnF8t83.jpg

Hey TiernanW,

Try this:

1. As stated in part (ii), draw a new wire with a new resistor directly between terminals X and Y (along an imaginary diagonal through the middle of the diagram).
2. Redraw the diagram so that all resistors are oriented in the same direction, so they actually sit parallel to one another in the diagram.
3. Simplify using the techniques you already know, beginning with summing the resistors in series, and then solving for the three equivalent parallel resistors.

Alternately, you can redraw the original diagram like this, and then add the new resistor into a parallel configuration with the simplified original - whichever you find easiest.

I hope this helps - I always found it easier to simplify circuits when all components are arranged this way.
Richard

TiernanW said:
Why do you figure these things out as soon as you post them? I was honestly at this for ages and just got it.

Here is my solution for anyone viewing this in the future:
http://i.imgur.com/nnF8t83.jpg
Looks good!

Why isn't it just 6 ohms? 2 6 ohm resistors in series =12 ohms and another set of 12 ohms and the two in parallel. Looks like it should be 6 ohms. Sorry, that would be between X and Y. Between X and Z would be a 6 ohm resistor in parallel with an 18 ohm resistor. That would be 6 times 18 divided by 6 PLUS 18 which equals 4.5 ohms. Oops, that would be without the extra resistor.

Last edited:
litup said:
Why isn't it just 6 ohms? 2 6 ohm resistors in series =12 ohms and another set of 12 ohms and the two in parallel. Looks like it should be 6 ohms.
That is for question 1. In question 2, equivalent resistance is asked between Y and Z.
Edit: I see you've already edited the post..

TiernanW said:
Why do you figure these things out as soon as you post them?
Because when you sort out your thoughts enought to explain the details you have explained it to yourself.

Part (ii) does not make sense as written.

If a 6Ω resistor is connected between points X and Y, then it is in parallel with the two pairs of 6Ω resistors IF we are considering resistance between points X and Y.

However, if we are considering resistance between points Y and Z, then the 6Ω resistor connected between points X and Y is in parallel with only one pair of the initial 6Ω resistors.

1. How do you calculate the resistance between 2 terminals of a circuit?

In order to calculate the resistance between 2 terminals of a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R = V/I. This means that you will need to measure the voltage and current at the 2 terminals and then divide the voltage by the current to find the resistance.

2. What units are used to measure resistance?

The units used to measure resistance are ohms (Ω). This is named after German physicist Georg Ohm, who first discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in circuits.

3. How does the length and thickness of a wire affect resistance?

The length of a wire has a direct relationship with resistance, meaning that the longer the wire, the higher the resistance. This is because the longer the wire, the more obstacles the electrons have to pass through, resulting in a slower flow and higher resistance. On the other hand, the thickness of a wire has an inverse relationship with resistance. Thicker wires have more space for electrons to flow, resulting in a faster flow and lower resistance.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits in terms of resistance?

In a series circuit, the resistance adds up to the total resistance. This means that if there are 2 resistors in a series, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, resulting in a lower total resistance.

5. Can you have negative resistance in a circuit?

No, it is not possible to have a negative resistance in a circuit. Resistance is a measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electrons, and it cannot be negative. However, there are some devices, such as diodes, that exhibit negative resistance over certain voltage ranges due to their unique properties.