1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the resistors value?

1. May 12, 2008 #1
    Calculate the value of the resistor using the following information:
    Vs=9volts, Vled=3volts, and Iled=10mA

I'm assuming that it's just Ohm's Law R=V/I,

but I don't know which of the two voltages I use, though I think its the Vs...but I don't know what the 's' stands for either.
    this is a pre-lab question, and I should probably be able to do it but I've been sick all (last) week so have missed all lectures relating to this...

= 9/0.001

this seems like a very lrge number, and also too easy for a pre-lab, they're usually very difficult.

Thankyou for any help offered. :)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm guessing that the circuit is set up with a voltage source (Vs), an LED with voltage drop Vled and a resistor in series. So you need to work out the resistance of the resistor such that it takes the supply voltage and reduces it to the voltage across the LED.

Does that make sense?
  4. May 12, 2008 #3
    it does make sense, but I don't know how to do that... or is that what i've done?
    Is the Vled value there just as extra information that isn't needed or?!?....
  5. May 12, 2008 #4
    Kirchhoff's loop rule says that the net voltage in a circuit is zero; i.e., if the source generates a voltage V, then there is a voltage drop V across the circuit. You already know that the LED "reduces" the voltage by 3 V, and you know the voltage generated by Vs(the source or battery or whatever).

From that you can find the voltage drop that MUST be across the resistor, and you know the current. Then just use Ohm's law.
  6. May 13, 2008 #5
    Also be careful with where you put your decimal point for the current. 10mA is not 0.001A it is
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?