Calculating the size of a capacitor in a sample and hold circuit

  • Topic: Engineering 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor Circuit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
CoolDude420
Messages
199
Reaction score
9
Homework Statement
In sampling system the sample rate is 500 Ms/s with an input signal of range of 1 V
peak−peak and a clock jitter of 1 ps rms . A performance of 60 dB is required for all
signals the Nyquist baseband. Calculate its size of the capacitor.
Relevant Equations
Analog-to-Digital Conversion by Marcel Pelgrom Book
First, I calculate the jitter power with an equation given in the book
1582481543814.png


Next, I calculate the signal power
1582481656848.png


Now, I know that SNR = Psignal/(Pjitter + PthermalNoise),
1582481688065.png


However, I seem to be getting a negative value for the thermal noise power?? My plan was to use this thermal noise power and equate it to kT/C to get my capacitor size. But the thermal power is negative??
What am I doing wrong?
 
Attachments
  • 1582481424730.png
    1582481424730.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 1582481634790.png
    1582481634790.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 224
Physics news on Phys.org
the thermal power is negative?? What do you calculate for the SNR?
 
sprog said:
the thermal power is negative?? What do you calculate for the SNR?

your SNR is stated as 60dB, so the factor 10^(60/20) yields 1000 fold power ratio, so your scaled Pjitter is around 0.0003

0.125 - 0.0003 is positive not negative simple math mistake?