Calculating the Slitwidth of a Diffraction Gradient

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the slit width using an equation that is not working. They need to know the distance between the central maximum and the first order minimum and then use that information to solve for the slit width.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

A set of narrow vertical slits is located a distance D from a screen. The slits are equally spaced and have the same width. The intensity pattern in the figure is observed when light from a laser passes through the slits, illuminating them uniformly. The screen is perpendicular to the direction of the light. Data: Distance to the screen = 2.95 m, Wavelength of light = 620 nm, distance between the central maximum and first order bright fringe is 1.6 cm. Distance between slits is 1.166E-4 m and number of slits is 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried a lot of things and it seems that I need to know the distance between the central maximum and the first order minimum (the first dark fringe). The equations i thought were relevant were sinθ = λ/a where λ is wavelength and a is slit width, and tanθ= y/L where y is the distance from the central mxaimum to the first dark fringe and L is the distance to the screen. So i figured i need to solve for the angle with the second equation and then plug that into solve for the slit width but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice to know what the question is.

I need to know the distance between the central maximum and the first order minimum
That should be half of the distance between the central max and the first bright spot, 0.8 cm.

There is a lot of confusion between L and the perpendicular distance to the screen, but it usually doesn't matter. However, it should certainly be sin θ = y/L or else tan θ = y/2.95. Hard to say what went wrong in your calc when you don't show it. Note that any rounding of θ will strongly affect the value for a.

sorry i just realized some of the question didn't copy over... but i ended up figuring it out.. Thank you anyway!

1. What is the formula for calculating the slitwidth of a diffraction gradient?

The formula for calculating the slitwidth of a diffraction gradient is given by:

Slitwidth = (wavelength * distance to screen) / (number of fringes * width of fringes)

2. How do I determine the distance to the screen in order to calculate the slitwidth?

The distance to the screen can be measured using a ruler or tape measure. It is the distance from the diffraction gradient (or the slit) to the screen where the diffraction pattern is observed.

3. What is the significance of the number of fringes in the calculation?

The number of fringes represents the number of bright or dark lines in the diffraction pattern. It is an indicator of the amount of diffraction that is occurring and is essential in determining the slitwidth.

4. Can I use any units for measuring the distance and wavelength in the calculation?

The units used for measuring the distance and wavelength must be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the wavelength must also be in meters. It is important to use the same units to ensure accurate calculations.

5. Are there any limitations to this formula for calculating the slitwidth?

This formula assumes that the diffraction gradient is a single slit and that the light source used is a monochromatic (single wavelength) source. It may not be applicable for other types of diffraction gratings or for sources with a range of wavelengths.