Calculating the surface area of a solid of rotation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
33 replies · 4K views
NascentOxygen said:
W-alpha says the answer is a little over 4¼
Funny. I see 5.5 (also when I do it in Excel) ? And Wolfram gives no clue of anything analytic.

I sympathize with Wi_N -- this thing looks, and is, horrible. Perhaps we are overlooking something, as @Wi_N suspects in #21, but I for sure don't see it. All I can think of is the numerical solution, but that's not appropriate for calc 101. So my best guess is teacher (or the exercise composer) made a mistake somewhere.
Let us know how this goes !

##\ ##
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Funny. I see 5.5 (also when I do it in Excel) ? And Wolfram gives no clue of anything analytic.

I sympathize with Wi_N -- this thing looks, and is, horrible. Perhaps we are overlooking something, as @Wi_N suspects in #21, but I for sure don't see it. All I can think of is the numerical solution, but that's not appropriate for calc 101. So my best guess is teacher (or the exercise composer) made a mistake somewhere.
Let us know how this goes !

##\ ##
thank you so much for your help. i get the answer tomorrow on friday. i will make sure to update you in this thread.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BvU and WWGD
Update:
Showed my professor the problem he stared at it for a few minutes and said he would get back to me. The questions are automated so there is a chance i received a question that is not solvable. My professor is world famous (he has a wikipedia page) so I don't think its solvable.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and BvU
Was this problem solved finally? or is it not solvable?