1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating the tension in a rope

1. Sep 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A very heavy sack is hung from a rope and pushed sideways. When the sideways push is 220N the rope supporting the sack is inclined 18 degrees to the vertical.

A) Calculate the tension in the rope
    B) Hence find the mass of the stack

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really cluesless as to what to do on this question. For part A I figured I would try trig and did 220Sin(18) = 67.98. I have no idea if I did that right though, as for part B I thought it would be either splitting the answer I got for tension into it's components and and using the downward force or it would just be the same as the answer to A.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2011 #2
    First off, draw a Free Body Diagram. It will help you visualize all the forces involved. Make sure you include everything you know.

Secondly, notice that the angle is not 18 degrees, but 18 degrees to the vertical. That means is 18 degrees away from being 90 degrees.

If those don't help enough, come back and let us know where you're still stuck at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook