Mechanics Question- Massive Rope in a Pulley System

In summary: I’m not sure what you’re getting at.In summary, the tension at point B is 65lbs because the weight of the rope and the weight of the load Q are added together.
cwill53
Homework Statement
A load Q of 60lbs is held in equilibrium by a counterbalance P attached to the end of a rope ABC weighing 10lbs which passes around a pulley. Determine the weight of the counterbalance P, the tensions $$F_{A}$$ and $$F_{C}$$ in the end sections, and the tension in the middle section B of the rope, if (1) the ends A and C are at the same level; (2) the end A is at the highest position; (3) the end A is at the lowest position. Neglect the stiffness of the rope, the radius of the pulley, and friction.

The answers and diagram are in the following photo.
Relevant Equations
$$\sum \vec{F}=0$$
$$\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$
IMG_6848.jpg

I understand how they might have got to these answers but I'm still kind of shaky on how the mass of the rope plays a role in the tension at point B, and how to mathematically represent the tension at any point along the rope; I know the tension varies because the rope has mass. If I was to consider friction, what would should be done differently?For part 1, I know intuitively that Q and P have to be the same weight because they're at the same level and the system is in equilibrium. I also know that $$\vec{F_{A}}=\vec{F_{_{C}}}=60lbs(-\hat{y})$$ because the weights Q and P are not holding up the weight of the rope.

Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
how to mathematically represent the tension at any point along the rope;
Consider a point at height y from A. What total weight is being held up by the rope at that point?

Wrt friction, I assume you mean static friction in the pulley axle, and assuming enough friction between pulley and rope that that does not slip.
This will lead to a range of values of counterbalance weight which are stable, but axle friction in a pulley is a tricky subject. There is some friction even without a load because of the tightness of fit of the pulley on its axle. Adding load means the normal force is not constant around the arc of contact between pulley and axle. Unbalanced load makes it even more complicated.
Couldn't find any good references on this.

Last edited:
Likes cwill53
haruspex said:
Consider a point at height y from A. What total weight is being held up by the rope at that point?

Wrt friction, I assume you mean static friction in the pulley axle, and assuming enough friction between pulley and rope that that does not slip.
This will lead to a range of values of counterbalance weight which are stable, but axle friction in a pulley is a tricky subject. There is some friction even without a load because of the tightness of fit of the pulley on its axle. Adding load means the normal force is not constant around the arc of contact between pulley and axle. Unbalanced load makes it even more complicated.
Couldn't find any good references on this.
The total weight would be the weight of the rope at that point plus the weight of the load Q.

cwill53 said:
the weight of the rope at that point
Weight of what section of rope at that point?

haruspex said:
Weight of what section of rope at that point?
That’s where I’m shaky on. I would think it would be the section below the point of interest.

cwill53 said:
the section below the point of interest.
Yes. It doesn't matter how long the section is above that point, it won't change the tension there. To see this, just consider the section below the point as a free body and write out the static balance of forces on it.

haruspex said:
Yes. It doesn't matter how long the section is above that point, it won't change the tension there. To see this, just consider the section below the point as a free body and write out the static balance of forces on it.
Why would the tension at point B of the rope be 65lbs instead of 130lbs?

cwill53 said:
Why would the tension at point B of the rope be 65lbs instead of 130lbs?
This is a common mistake.
Tension is not a force, exactly. It is a pair of equal (or nearly so) and opposite forces acting either side of an element of the rope. The "nearly so" case is where the element has mass and is accelerating, which is not the case here.
If the tension all along a rope is T then it exerts a pull of T at whatever it is connected to at each end. If you anchor a rope to a wall and pull on one end with force F the tension along the rope is F and the rope pulls on the wall with force F.

haruspex said:
This is a common mistake.
Tension is not a force, exactly. It is a pair of equal (or nearly so) and opposite forces acting either side of an element of the rope. The "nearly so" case is where the element has mass and is accelerating, which is not the case here.
If the tension all along a rope is T then it exerts a pull of T at whatever it is connected to at each end. If you anchor a rope to a wall and pull on one end with force F the tension along the rope is F and the rope pulls on the wall with force F.
Alright. So if I was to consider the force on the ceiling from which the pulley hangs, THAT would be 130lbs plus the negligible weight of the pulley, correct?
I’m still a bit confused.

cwill53 said:
Alright. So if I was to consider the force on the ceiling from which the pulley hangs, THAT would be 130lbs plus the negligible weight of the pulley, correct?
I’m still a bit confused.
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Lol I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions, but what you’re saying is tension isn’t the sum of the weights acting...it’s just that because the system is not accelerating, the weight on each end might as well be a wall because the rope isn’t moving because it is in equilibrium. Thus the total weight on one side is the force acting at point B at the top of the pulley. Am I getting closer?

cwill53 said:
Lol I’m sorry if I’m asking too many questions, but what you’re saying is tension isn’t the sum of the weights acting...it’s just that because the system is not accelerating, the weight on each end might as well be a wall because the rope isn’t moving because it is in equilibrium. Thus the total weight on one side is the force acting at point B at the top of the pulley. Am I getting closer?
Yes, but as I wrote tension is a pair of forces, not a single force. So you could consider that pair of forces acting to tear the rope apart at the top of the pulley. Each force is then equal to the sum of weights on its side.

Likes cwill53

1. How does the mass of the rope affect the pulley system?

The mass of the rope can affect the pulley system in several ways. Firstly, a heavier rope will require more force to lift and may cause strain on the pulley system. Secondly, a heavier rope will have more inertia, meaning it will be more difficult to start and stop its motion. Lastly, the weight of the rope will also affect the tension in the system, which can impact the overall stability and efficiency of the pulley system.

2. What is the maximum weight that can be lifted using a massive rope in a pulley system?

The maximum weight that can be lifted using a massive rope in a pulley system depends on several factors, such as the strength and stability of the pulley system, the friction between the rope and the pulley, and the strength of the rope itself. In general, the maximum weight that can be lifted will be limited by the weakest component in the system.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of the system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is determined by the number of ropes supporting the load. The more pulleys there are in the system, the more ropes there are supporting the load, and the greater the mechanical advantage. This means that a pulley system with more pulleys will require less force to lift the same weight compared to a system with fewer pulleys.

4. Can a massive rope in a pulley system be used to lift objects horizontally?

Yes, a pulley system with a massive rope can be used to lift objects horizontally. However, the direction of the force applied to the rope will need to be adjusted to achieve horizontal motion. This can be done by using angled pulleys or by changing the direction of the rope through the use of additional pulleys.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension in a pulley system?

The angle of the rope in a pulley system can affect the tension in the system. The greater the angle, the more the tension will be distributed among the ropes supporting the load. This can lead to a decrease in tension in each individual rope, which may impact the stability and efficiency of the system. It is important to consider the angle of the rope when designing a pulley system to ensure proper tension and stability.