Calculating the Thickness of a Doped Silicon Strip with Given Current and Width

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrlucky0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Width
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
mrlucky0
Messages
69
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A strip of doped silicon 270 µm wide contains 9.1E22 conduction electrons per cubic meter and an insignificant number of holes. When the strip carries a current of 110 µA, the drift speed of the electrons is 44 cm/s. What is the thickness of the strip?


Homework Equations



I=n*e*A*V

Where I is current, n is electrons per volume, A is cross sectional, v is drift velocity

The Attempt at a Solution



I've plugged into the equation above the variables given in the problem and solved for area. But how to find thickness, given the width? I think there's a missing link somewhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the surface area of the strip. I've thought about it. I have the width and the surface area but I cannot solve for thickness.
 
No it's the cross sectional area of the strip - does this help you find the thickness?