Calculating the velocity of an object down a varied slope inclined plane

• Thread starter dougk
  • Start date
dougk
An object starts at a height of 5m. The initial incline is 63.4 deg. After moving 2m in the x direction, the incline decreases to 7.125 deg and the motion continues for an additional 8m in the x direction. What is the total time for the object to complete the path?

Homework Equations

The initial move downward is 4m in the y and 2m in the x direction. The second move is 1m in the y and 8m in the x direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to solve it separating the moves and adding the time together.

Answers and Replies

Tried to solve it separating the moves and adding the time together.
That is a good approach. Where is the problem?

dougk
We solved for the time in the x direction and the y direction to make sure they matched. For the first leg, they did, for the second leg they didn't.

I took my kids to the math musuem in the city last week and we saw an exhibit that highlighted the fastest way down a gravitational field. We're trying to work out a simpler method by using segments.

Thanks,

Doug

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
We solved for the time in the x direction and the y direction to make sure they matched. For the first leg, they did, for the second leg they didn't.

I took my kids to the math musuem in the city last week and we saw an exhibit that highlighted the fastest way down a gravitational field. We're trying to work out a simpler method by using segments.

Thanks,

Doug
Please post your working (or there's no way to tell where you went wrong).

No finite number of segments will give the optimum. Adding more and more segments in the right way will always improve the time - with the ideal curve as limiting case.