Calculating the Volume of a Region Bounded by Hyperboloid Cylinders

  • Thread starter Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
1,145
Reaction score
0
The question is, Find the volume of the region bounded by the hyperboloid cylinders
[tex]xy=1, xy=9, xz=36, yz=25, yz=49[/tex]

The Volume will be
[tex]\int \int \int_{V} dx dy dz[/tex]

which I think is,

[tex]\int \int_{D} (\frac{49}{y}-\frac{25}{y})dx dy[/tex]

The problem I now have is in determining the Domain of Integration D in the x-y plane. I know I am supposed to project the cylinder on to the x-y plane and then find the domain D, but I am stuck. How do I find the curves, y=f(x), which determines this domain?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I just thought of something else. I could transform the co-ordinates so that,
xy=a, yz=b and zx=c and then find the Jacobian (which i get as [itex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{abc}}[/itex]). I think the plane z=0 must also be given as a boundary. Then the shape of the region in the new co-ordinate system will be a cuboid.
 
Last edited: