Volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder

In summary, the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder can be calculated using the formula V = (1/2)πr²h, where r is the radius and h is the height of the smaller part. The radius and height can be determined by measuring the dimensions of the original cylinder and using the formula. The volume of the smaller part is not always half of the volume of the original cylinder, as it depends on the angle of the slice. The volume cannot be negative, and if it is, it indicates an error in measurement or slicing. Finally, if the height of the cylinder is doubled, the volume of the smaller part will also double as the formula includes the height in its calculation.
songoku
Homework Statement
A solid cylinder of radius r and height h is cut by a plane which passes through a diameter of the base and intersects the cylinder's top in just one point, cutting the cylinder into two parts. Calculate the volume of the smaller part
Relevant Equations
Integration
I imagine the shape will be like this:
1621494961258.png

and I need to find the volume of the shaded part. I am planning to use: ##V=\int A(y) dy##

I tried to take the cross-sectional area A(y) to be triangle:
1621495073093.png

and the base of the cylinder to be:
1621495156077.png

So it means that the base of the triangle will fulfill the equation of circle ##x^2+y^2=r^2## and the base will be ##x=\sqrt{r^2-y^2}##.

But I can't find the equation for the height of triangle. I imagine that the height will satisfy maybe equation of tilted parabola and I don't know how to find it.

Is my approach correct? Or maybe there is better method to do this question?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of the plane? What does this mean for when ##x = \sqrt{R^2 - y^2}##?

That being said, I would have used the circle segment slices instead.

Edit: Actually, your slicing does result in nicer integrals. Keep doing it, just keep the above in mind. (Luckily, the result is the same)

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
What is the equation of the plane? What does this mean for when ##x = \sqrt{R^2 - y^2}##?
I am sorry, which plane do you mean?

songoku said:
I am sorry, which plane do you mean?
The only plane mentioned in the problem statement.
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: A solid cylinder of radius r and height h is cut by a plane which passes through a diameter of the base and intersects the cylinder's top in just one point, cutting the cylinder into two parts. Calculate the volume of the smaller part

Likes songoku
Orodruin said:
The only plane mentioned in the problem statement.
I think I get your hint and I got the volume to be ##\frac{2}{3}r^2h##

Is this correct? Thanks

songoku said:
I think I get your hint and I got the volume to be ##\frac{2}{3}r^2h##

Is this correct? Thanks
It is the same result as I obtained in both ways.

Orodruin said:
That being said, I would have used the circle segment slices instead.
For practice, I tried to use your method but I am confused about the slice. Do you take the slice as semicircle (half of the base area) then stacking it in upwards direction (integrate it from 0 to h)?

Thanks

songoku said:
For practice, I tried to use your method but I am confused about the slice. Do you take the slice as semicircle (half of the base area) then stacking it in upwards direction (integrate it from 0 to h)?

Thanks
No, it is not a semi-circle, it is a circular segment. I expressed the area of this as a function of ##z## and integrated with respect to ##z##.

Likes songoku
Area of cross section of the body with the plane z = c is
[tex]\int_{rc/h}^r 2\sqrt{r^2-x^2} dx[/tex]
Volume of the body is
[tex]\int_0^h dz\int_{rz/h}^r 2\sqrt{r^2-x^2} dx=2hr^2 \int_0^1 dz \int_0^{cos^{-1}z} sin^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

[EDIT]
Let ##\cos^{-1} z =t##
[tex]=hr^2 \int_0^1 dz [\theta-\frac{\sin 2\theta}{2}]_0^t[/tex]
[tex]=hr^2 \int_0^{\pi/2} \sin t (t-\frac{\sin 2t}{2})dt[/tex]
[tex]=hr^2 \{[-t \cos t]_0^{\pi/2}+ \int_0^{\pi/2} \cos t dt - \int_0^1 sin^2t d(\sin t)\}=\frac{2hr^2 }{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes songoku
Thank you very much for the help Orodruin and anuttarasammyak

anuttarasammyak said:
Area of cross section of the body with the plane z = c is
[tex]\int_{rc/h}^r 2\sqrt{r^2-x^2} dx[/tex]
Volume of the body is
[tex]\int_0^h dz\int_{rz/h}^r 2\sqrt{r^2-x^2} dx=2hr^2 \int_0^1 dz \int_0^{cos^{-1}z} sin^2\theta d\theta[/tex]
As mentioned in #2 though, using the triangular slicing of the OP results in significantly easier integrals.

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder?

The formula for finding the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the cylinder and h is the height of the smaller part.

2. How do I determine the radius and height of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder?

The radius and height of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder can be determined by measuring the dimensions of the cylinder and using those values in the formula V = πr²h.

3. Is the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder always smaller than the volume of the original cylinder?

Not necessarily. The volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder can be larger or smaller than the volume of the original cylinder depending on the angle at which it is sliced and the size of the smaller part.

4. Can the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder be negative?

No, the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder cannot be negative as it represents the amount of space occupied by the smaller part, which cannot be negative.

5. How does the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder change if the angle of slicing is increased?

If the angle of slicing is increased, the volume of the smaller part of a sliced cylinder will decrease. This is because a larger angle results in a smaller height of the smaller part, leading to a smaller volume according to the formula V = πr²h.