Calculating the Weighted Average of Two Graphs

• Thread starter jlkamikaze
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

i have an excel file containing 2 graphs [R & V], and their x & y coordinates in 4 separate lists [the X coordinates of R, the X coordinates of V, the Y coordinates of R, the Y coordinates of V]

i need to calculate the X & Y coordinates of a 3rd graph through a weighted formula that takes 55% of the R coordinates into account + 45% of the V coordinates into account

the tricky part is that R & V start and end at different X coordinates...
for example R starts at x=0 and ends at x=10
while V starts at x=5 and ends at x=15

can anyone help define a better formula for this?
here is what i have so far:
X = (Xr+Xv)/2
Y = (Yr)*0.55 + (Yv)*0.45
the problem with these equations is they dont take into account the different start and end positions of the two graphs

thank you for any help in advance! best regards!

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Just to clarify what you are asking, would this be the same type of problem:

Graph A gives high temperature data for Jan 1 thru Jan 20, graph B gives high temperature for Jan 10 through Jan 31. You want a graph for the whole month, weighting the readings differently. Is that similar to what you are wanting to do?

to clarify:
imagine graph A starting at Jan 1 [point M] and ending at Jan 20 [point N]
imagine graph B starting at Jan 10 [point O] and ending at Jan 31 [point P]

i want to generate a set of points that take on a weighted average of the points from graphs A & B but also starts at point M and ends at point P

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
to clarify:
imagine graph A starting at Jan 1 [point M] and ending at Jan 20 [point N]
imagine graph B starting at Jan 10 [point O] and ending at Jan 31 [point P]

i want to generate a set of points that take on a weighted average of the points from graphs A & B but also starts at point M and ends at point P
Well, you can't calculate the average of two numbers when you don't have two numbers. The only sensible thing to do is to use the values from graph A and B on the intervals where that is all you have, and average the values for the places where you have two readings. Whether that is acceptable I guess depends on what you are doing.

i get what your saying in only using values for the common interval between both graphs

but im supposed to somehow use weighted averages to weight the data points as well as the difference between the intervals. fairly complicated ugh

thank you btw!!

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
i get what your saying in only using values for the common interval between both graphs

but im supposed to somehow use weighted averages to weight the data points as well as the difference between the intervals. fairly complicated ugh

thank you btw!!
I guess I would need more context about what you are doing to see if I would have any other suggestions. At this point it doesn't make much sense to me.