Calculating Thermo Properties of Water in Excel

In summary, the person is working on a paper and needs advice on how to perform enthalpy calculations in Excel. They mention that the process for inputting corresponding enthalpies is slow and ask for advice on correlations or calculations that can be used. Another person suggests using REFPROP, a database of thermophysical properties that can be accessed through Excel, and provides a link for purchasing it.
traijan
Hi - I am currently working on a paper verifying some thermal hydraulic code against experimental test data for subcooled water subchannel flow. I have close to 1000 points in excel all listed with T & P and the process for inputting the corresponding enthalpies for subcooled water by lookup table is dreadfully slow (the code requires the enthalpy - no built in look up table) Does anyone have any advice for correlations or calculations I can input to excel to perform the enthalpy calcs? Thank you!

Science news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you are asking. What exactly takes time (and is it your time or computation time) and how do you want to reduce that?
Correlations between what, calculations for what, based on what?

traijan said:
Does anyone have any advice for correlations or calculations I can input to excel to perform the enthalpy calcs? Thank you!
Perhaps REFPROP would help. It's a database of thermophysical properties that can be accessed by Excel. It has a lot more than water in it, but it's not particularly expensive. Basically, you put a specific code into the cell similar to a lookup function and it brings back some property of the fluid you're looking for such as enthalpy (or density, entropy, etc...). There's a list of properties on the web site.

You can research it and purchase it online here:
http://www.nist.gov/srd/nist23.cfm

1. How do I calculate the specific heat capacity of water in Excel?

To calculate the specific heat capacity of water in Excel, you will need to use the formula: =Cp*T/(m*dT)Where:Cp = specific heat capacity of water (4.18 J/g°C)T = change in temperature (in °C)m = mass of water (in grams)dT = change in time (in seconds)You will need to input the values for T, m, and dT in their respective cells and then use the formula to calculate the specific heat capacity.

2. How can I calculate the enthalpy of vaporization of water in Excel?

To calculate the enthalpy of vaporization of water in Excel, you will need to use the formula:=Q/mWhere:Q = heat required to vaporize the water (in J)m = mass of water (in grams)You will need to input the value for Q and m in their respective cells and then use the formula to calculate the enthalpy of vaporization.

3. What is the best way to calculate the boiling point of water in Excel?

The best way to calculate the boiling point of water in Excel is to use the following formula:=Tb = 100 - (0.01 * m)Where:Tb = boiling point of water (in °C)m = mass of impurities in the water (in mg/L)You will need to input the value for m in its respective cell and then use the formula to calculate the boiling point of water.

4. Can I use Excel to calculate the density of water at different temperatures?

Yes, you can use Excel to calculate the density of water at different temperatures by using the formula:=d = m/VWhere:d = density of water (in g/mL)m = mass of water (in grams)V = volume of water (in mL)You will need to input the values for m and V in their respective cells and then use the formula to calculate the density at different temperatures.

5. How do I calculate the heat of fusion of water using Excel?

To calculate the heat of fusion of water using Excel, you will need to use the formula:=Q/mWhere:Q = heat required to melt the water (in J)m = mass of water (in grams)You will need to input the value for Q and m in their respective cells and then use the formula to calculate the heat of fusion.