1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Time in gravity/acceleration problem

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    I understand that gravity acts upon objects at a fairly steady rate on earth. How could I calculate the time in the following example:

An object falls ten centimeters before hitting the ground. How much time has passed from when it fell to when it hit the ground?

I can't use a stopwatch because the distances are so small. Since gravity is a constant (9.8 m/s2), how can I calculate the time over such a short distance? I'm sure that a computer could calculate this almost instantly, but I would like to know how to perform the calculation on paper.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2008 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The general form for your problem is d=vt+gt2/2, where v is the initial speed and d is the distance. Air resistance is neglected. Assuming you simply drop it, you will get t=(0.2/9.8 )1/2 sec.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    Not d, it is s for displacement :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook