1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating torque for a bent lever

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    [PLAIN]http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8218/diagram.gif [Broken]

to calculate the torque (N*x) which one is correct? the one on top, or below.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand the question. The fact that the lever is bent doesn't matter. To find the torque, you want the perpendicular distance from the line of action of the force to the pivot. If N and x are the same, the torque is the same for both diagrams.

4. Aug 6, 2010 #3
    sorry the diagram is unclear, but the X is different for the first case, and the second case, N is the same.

5. Aug 6, 2010 #4
    but anyway, i think i understand it now, thanks!

6. Aug 6, 2010 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think I know what you're asking. Imagine a straight line connecting the end of the lever to the pivot. To maximize the torque for a given force, you want the force to be perpendicular to that line. (Neither diagram shows that.) That will maximize your value for X.

7. Aug 6, 2010 #6
    thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook