Calculating Torque in a Hanging Rod System

  • Thread starter Thread starter Joosh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rod Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Joosh
Messages
7
Reaction score
4
Hey, folks! So upon studying for my Physics final tomorrow, I came across this question on the practice exam, which I know the answer is D from the solution key. However, I'm not sure how to get that for the answer.

1. Homework Statement

iNmDGIX.jpg


Homework Equations


τ = rA × Fnet
LA = Ltrans, A + Lrot
Ltrans = rcm × Ptot
Lrot = r1 × p1 + r2 × p2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution


I personally don't entirely know where to start. I'm going to guess this is a torque-related question, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go at it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The rod is at rest when the force F is applied. What can you say about what the sum of the torques about the hinge must be for bodies at rest? No need to get involved with momentum
 
Joosh said:
The net torque would equal zero.
So what are the torques? What equation do you get for a zero sum?
 
Would it just be gravity and the force pushing the rod upwards?
 
I asked one of the graduate teaching assistants about this and he was able to help me figure this out. I simply forgot that the center of mass is where gravity is pulling down on the rod.