Finding torque by integration of weight

I hope this will help me avoid making similar mistakes in the future...In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding torque by integrating the weight of a rod over its entire length. The attempted solutions involve finding the torque by multiplying the force by the radius and sine of the angle. However, this approach is incorrect and the correct approach involves creating a linear density and casting the mass element in terms of length element. The conversation concludes with the individual understanding the concept after relating it to a salami example.
Cooojan

Homework Statement

Hi. I ve got a problem, where I have to show torque by integrating the weight of the rod over the whole it's length.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Result, what I am suppose to get is:

## \tau_{rod} = \frac{mgb}2 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
When I try to integrate, I am only getting:

## \tau_{rod} = \frac{mgb^2}2~~~~ ##

I'm sure I'm doing some silly mistake. But why can't I do this:

## \frac{d \tau_{rod}}{db} = mg~b~~~~~~⇒~~~~~~ \int \,d \tau_{rod}= mg \int b\,db~~~~~~⇒~~~~~~ \tau_{rod} = \frac{mgb^2}2~~~~##??

I only get the right answer by doing this:

## \frac{d \tau_{rod}b}{db} = mg~b~~~~~~⇒~~~~~~ \int \,d \tau_{rod}b= mg \int b\,db~~~~~~##

but I don't really understand why should I be doing anything like that, and this seems to me like completely wrong approach.

Im sorry if this seems very stupid :/

Attachments

• 20171022_192439.jpg
    20171022_192439.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 655
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have mass element ##dm## at distance ##x## from the the pivot, then the element contributes torque ##d\tau = dm~x##. The next thing you have to do is add up (integrate) all such elements over the length of the rod. Note that both ##dm## and ##x## are variables. You need to invent a linear density and cast ##dm## in terms of ##dx##.

Likes Cooojan
Cooojan said:
I'm sure I'm doing some silly mistake
b is the whole length of the rod. That is a bound on the integral, but not the variable of integration. Create a separate variable for that to avoid confusion.
In particular, you may find you are confusing mass with mass-per-unit-length.

Likes Cooojan
kuruman said:
If you have mass element ##dm## at distance ##x## from the the pivot, then the element contributes torque ##d\tau = dm~x##. The next thing you have to do is add up (integrate) all such elements over the length of the rod. Note that both ##dm## and ##x## are variables. You need to invent a linear density and cast ##dm## in terms of ##dx##.

I'm so cofused right now xDD

haruspex said:
b is the whole length of the rod. That is a bound on the integral, but not the variable of integration. Create a separate variable for that to avoid confusion.
In particular, you may find you are confusing mass with mass-per-unit-length.

True! Thank you guys. I feel like my head is about to explode )))))

Is that suppose to be an obvious solution to this? Because I feel so dumb right now xD
Are there any video tutorials on this kind of problems, because I can't find any simmilar ones. Even tho it should be a common kind of problem, I guess... I've really been sitting with this problem for too long now... And this is just a first part of the exercise ://///

Last edited by a moderator:
OK! I think I got this now... Please confirm if I am doing the right thing...

lin.density = ##\frac mb##

##dF=g \int_0^b \,dm##

## g \int_0^b \,dm = \frac {mg}{b} \int_0^b \,dx##

## g \int_0^b \,dm =g~dm= dF##

##g~dm~x = d\tau##

##d\tau=\frac{gm}{b}\int_ 0^b x\,dx##

##d\tau=\frac{gm}{b}[\frac{x^2}{2}]_0^b##

##\tau=\frac{gmb^2}{2b}=\frac{gmb}{2}##

Cooojan said:
##F=g \int m'\,dm##
Imagine cutting up the rod into length elements ##dx##. If ##m'## is the linear density, then what is mass element ##dm##? If I give you length ##dx##, how much mass is in that length?

Also, we are not looking for a force, we are looking for a torque. Please reread post #2.

Likes Cooojan
kuruman said:
Imagine cutting up the rod into length elements ##dx##. If ##m'## is the linear density, then what is mass element ##dm##? If I give you length ##dx##, how much mass is in that length?

Also, we are not looking for a force, we are looking for a torque. Please reread post #2.

Since we don't deal with volume here, but only length, so lin.density should be ##=\frac mb##..
And as I understand, the mass per length ##dx## must be ##\frac{m}{dx}##.. And torque is just the the force time radius times ##sin\theta##,
so in this case, I thought I could multiply both sides with that particular ##x##, to get that particular ##\tau##

Im sorry if that's annoying...

Cooojan said:
Since we don't deal with volume here, but only length, so lin.density should be ## \frac {m}{b}##.
That is correct.
Cooojan said:
And as I understand, the mass per length ##dx## must be ##\frac{m}{dx}##
Incorrect. We already decided what the linear density is. Linear density is also known as mass per length. Units might be kg/m.

Perhaps you can clarify these ideas in your head if you answer this "real-life" situation: Given a salami of length b = 1.0 m and mass m = 2 kg, what is the mass, dm, of a slice of length dx = 3×10-3m?

Likes Cooojan
It all suddenly became very clear, when u put it in salami terms...
Especially as I started getting seriously hungry, after breaking my head with this one.
That is one great salami, with fantastics mass of ##dm## per ##dx## unit length.
Thank you very much :)

Cooojan said:
t all suddenly became very clear, when u put it in salami terms...
I'm glad. Can you finish the problem now?

yes)) it's done :)

1. What is torque and why is it important in science?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is important in science because it helps us understand how forces act on objects to produce rotational motion.

2. How is torque calculated using integration of weight?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. In the case of using integration of weight, the weight of each individual particle in the object is multiplied by its distance from the pivot point and then added together to find the total torque.

3. What is the difference between torque and moment of inertia?

While torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object, moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In other words, torque causes rotational motion, while moment of inertia resists it.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its torque?

The shape of an object can affect its torque in two ways. First, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied can vary depending on the shape of the object. Second, the distribution of mass within the object can also affect its moment of inertia, which in turn affects the torque.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque calculations?

Torque calculations are used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, mechanics, and physics. Some common examples include calculating the torque on a bicycle wheel, determining the torque required for a motor to lift a heavy load, and understanding the forces acting on a lever or pulley system.