Calculating Tsunami Characteristics from Chilean Earthquake Data

• Thread starter tennistudof09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of modeling tsunamis in Hawaii caused by the 1960 Chilean earthquake. The equation y= 8 sin (pi/6)t is used to represent the waves, with y being in feet and t in minutes. The amplitude is found to be 8 and the period is 12 minutes. To determine the velocity of the wave, the distance between crests (21 km) and the period (12 minutes) can be used. However, there is some confusion about the value of .75 in the calculation. Additionally, it is mentioned that the same question was posted in another section, which is not recommended as it can waste the responders' time.
tennistudof09
We have this problem for math class:

For an interval of 45 minutes, the tsunamis near Hawaii caused by the chilean earthquake of 1960 could be modeled by the equation y= 8 sin (pi/6)t, where y is in feet and t is in minutes.

a) find the amplitude and period of the waves b) If the distance from one crest of the wave to the next was 21 kilometers, what was the velocity of the wave?

I know the amplitude is 8 and 2pi/ (pi/6) came out to be 12, so I got 12 for the period. For question b, in order to get the velocity, should i just do 21 x (.75)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get ".75"?

Any way, if the distance from one crest to another is 21 km, then the length of the wave is 42 km. The time for one end of the wave to "move" to the other is the period, 12 minutes.

You have posted the same question in another section. That's not a good thing to do, as responders can waste time answering a question that has already been answered.

Related to Calculating Tsunami Characteristics from Chilean Earthquake Data

1. What is a "Problem for math class"?

A "Problem for math class" is an exercise or question that requires the application of mathematical concepts and skills to arrive at a solution. These problems can range from basic arithmetic to more complex algebra, geometry, or calculus problems.

2. Why is it important to practice solving problems for math class?

Solving problems for math class helps to improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also helps to reinforce the understanding and application of mathematical concepts and prepares students for more advanced math courses.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for math class?

One way to improve problem-solving skills for math class is to practice regularly. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Another helpful tip is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts before attempting to solve it.

4. What are some common strategies for solving problems for math class?

Some common strategies for solving problems for math class include identifying and understanding the given information, making a plan or strategy for solving the problem, and checking the solution for accuracy. Other strategies include using visual aids, working backwards, and using trial and error.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with solving problems for math class?

If you are struggling with solving problems for math class, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide guidance and support, and help you identify any areas where you may need extra practice or clarification. Additionally, practicing regularly and breaking down problems into smaller parts can also help to improve your problem-solving skills.