Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating velcoity around a corner

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    Calculating velocity around a corner

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a mecatronics project to control a buggy around a track, which uses sensors to determine where on the track it is and has a separate, rear wheel motor controls.

I want to perform a theoretical calculation to determine the maximum velocity I can go round the 90 degree corners? I know the distance around the corner, and the aim is to use this information to work out the time. Does anyone know how to calculate this?

The overall aim is by knowing tha max velcoity on the corners, I can work out speed on the straights knowing how much braking is requried.

Thanks in advance!

Mistry

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    Hi Mistry,

First off I suggest read up a little about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion" [Broken], you will of course need to take into consideration a lot of factors about the vehicle such as the coefficient of dynamic friction between the tyres and your surface, air resistance and the centripetal force.

Hopefully this will give you a start for the logic.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Feb 19, 2010 #3
    F=mv^2/r m=mass v=speed r= radius of the turn .
    make sure this does not over come the frictional force by F=(mu)(N)
    mu= friction coefficient , which is the tangent of the angle at which the material starts to slide on the other material , and N= the normal force (mass)(g)

5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    Hi, thank you for your replies.

Could I clarify one thing. This coefficient of friction, is this the same a rolling resistance or is that completely different?

Also using the information given, I need to work out the maximum speed I can go round. If I take the coefficient of friction to be between 0.6-0.85 (for rubber tyres on concrete) can I state the follwing

m/V^2/r = (mu)N

then rearrange to find V. Would this be correct

Thanks

6. Feb 20, 2010 #5
    yes then you would solve for v , I’m not quite sure about the rolling resistance.
    But I think rolling resistance is different than the friction coefficient because the friction coefficient refers to sliding not rolling.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook