Calculating Volume of 0.835M Na2SO4 Solution (0.0534 mol Na+)

  • Thread starter Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molarity Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
RJLiberator
Gold Member
Messages
1,094
Reaction score
63
Question: What volume of a 0.835 M solution of Na2SO4 do you have if there are 0.0534 mol of Na+ present in the solution?

What I did: Since we have 0.0534 moles of Na+ ions in the Na2SO4 molecule, I used that for the equation. Since 0.0534 moles is in a 1:1 ratio with Na2SO4 I can conclude we have 0.0534 moles of Na2SO4.

M = Moles/Volume
0.835M = 0.0534moles of Na2SO4/V
Solving, I get 6.40x10^-2L

Is my reasoning correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well that is the definition of molarity you used there... so you reasoned:

M=n/V => V=n/M plug numbers in.
No worries.
 
RJLiberator said:
Since 0.0534 moles is in a 1:1 ratio with Na2SO4 I can conclude we have 0.0534 moles of Na2SO4.

Can you? Is it really 1:1?
 
Ah, prior to my test I spoke with my professor and it appears that I can do no such thing. There is 2 Na ions and 1 So4 ions so it is actually a 2 to 1 ratio. I will work this out when I get home tonight. :)

Thank you.