How Do You Calculate the Percent by Mass of Na2SO4 * 10H2O in a Hydrated Sample?

In summary, Homework Equations states that 1 mol Na2SO4 = 142.0428 g, and 1 mol H20 = 15.994 g. The Attempt at a Solution found that 1 mol Na2SO4 = 142.0428 g, and 1 mol H20 = 52.105 mol H20. However, the final answer was not correct.
Nano

Homework Statement

A thoroughly dried 1.283 sample of Na2SO4 is exposed to the atmosphere and found to gain 0.395 in mass. What is the percent, by mass, of Na2SO4 * 10H20 in the resulting mixture of anhydrous and the decahydrate?

Homework Equations

1 mol Na2SO4 = 142.0428 g
1 mol H20 = 15.994 g

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't really know where to start. I found the moles of Na2SO4 in 1.283 g sample (.009032) and the moles H20 in sample once it had gained weight (1.678 sample, .118133 mol H20)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know number of moles of water, can you calculate number of moles of hydrate that was produced? Number of moles of anhydrous sulfate left?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the moles hydrate in the .11813 mol H2O by dividing it by 10 mol h2o per mol hydrate. Then I divided that by the 1.678 g hydrate mixture (1.283 +.395 g gained) to find the percentage mass. But that was not right either

Judging from what you wrote you divided number of moles by mass. You need to divide mass by mass.

I saw the mistake after I posted it and converted the moles hydrate to g, but the resulting mass was greater that 1.678 (giving a percentage greater than 100)

Basically what I have to do is find
g hydrate (Na2SO4*10H2O) / 1.678 g mixture
and multiply that by 100 to get ther percentage by mass, right?
From that, I tried again working backwards to find moles H20 like you said. I converted 1.678 g hydrate to moles H20 and got .52105 mol H20. Now I'm not sure where to go from there; I tried converting that to grams hydrate but ended up back to 1.678 g of course.

Probably some math error.

Please list:

number of moles of water
number of moles of hydrate
mass of the hydrate

as you have calculated.

.052105 mol water
.00521 mol hydrate
1.89059 g hydrate

0.052105?

Do I convert .395 g to moles water to find the moles water (since all of the mass gained is water)?

What else can you use?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Percent by Mass of Na2SO4 * 10H2O in a Hydrated Sample?

1. What does percent by mass mean in chemistry?

Percent by mass is a way of expressing the concentration of a solute in a solution. It represents the percentage of the total mass of a solution that is made up of the solute.

2. How do you calculate percent by mass?

To calculate percent by mass, divide the mass of the solute by the total mass of the solution and then multiply by 100. This will give you the percentage of the solution that is made up of the solute.

3. Why is percent by mass important in chemistry?

Percent by mass is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the concentration of different solutes in a solution. It is also useful for determining the amount of a substance present in a solution or for making dilutions.

4. How is percent by mass different from other concentration units?

Percent by mass is different from other concentration units, such as molarity or molality, because it is based on the mass of the solute rather than the number of particles or moles. This makes it a more accurate representation of the true concentration of a solution.

5. Can percent by mass be greater than 100%?

No, percent by mass cannot be greater than 100%. This is because it represents the percentage of the total mass of a solution, and a solution cannot have more than 100% of any substance. However, it is possible for the percent by mass to be less than 100% if the solute is not fully dissolved in the solution.