Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume required for a pressure value ( for duct design)

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    I am calculating sizes of duct ( section1= constant area pipe, section2= transition to a rectangular cross section , section3= constant rectangular cross section upto 0.5m, section4= similar to section3, section5= similar to section1) and fan flow rate for a given pressure(minimum of 12 psi at section4) which is required to be maintained. for which I have started calculating from section4 and working through to the inlet by adding losses and pressure changes( bernoullis principle) and finally obtaining volume flow rate required.

I am stuck at calculating volume of section4 from ideal gas (PV=nRT)for the given pressure as I do not know 'n' value for air. Also I have considered fluid to be inviscid, incompressible and the flow regime to be laminar for simplifcation.

Can some body help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

If you have the velocity (guessing obtained from Bernoulli's equation) and the area, then
    [tex] Q = AV[/tex]

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for your initiation, but I guess you havn't understood my question,
    To start calculations, I am working from rectangular section of the duct where there is a minimum pressure requirment of 12psi is nessecary. But to start calculations assuming the pressure to be 12psi gauge ( static+dynmic pressure) and without having duct sizes(which has to be calculated), i need to evaluate volume of the rectangular duct from ideal gas law (PxV= nxRxT)for a static pressure of maximum 12psi. After which velocities and flow rates can be calculated for each sucessive duct sections from bernoullis and continuty eq.

But I need to know number of moles i.e. 'n' value for air at STP or appropriate conditions.

And as I have previously specified I have assumed Flow to be laminar, incompressible and inviscid for simplification and I will later optimize this design through CFD solver.

Thanks again
    Kiran

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would highly recommend that you get a copy of SAE AIR1168-1, specifically sections 1A and 1B. It is very applicable to what you are designing for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook