1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume required for a pressure value ( for duct design)

1. Mar 30, 2009 #1
    I am calculating sizes of duct ( section1= constant area pipe, section2= transition to a rectangular cross section , section3= constant rectangular cross section upto 0.5m, section4= similar to section3, section5= similar to section1) and fan flow rate for a given pressure(minimum of 12 psi at section4) which is required to be maintained. for which I have started calculating from section4 and working through to the inlet by adding losses and pressure changes( bernoullis principle) and finally obtaining volume flow rate required.

I am stuck at calculating volume of section4 from ideal gas (PV=nRT)for the given pressure as I do not know 'n' value for air. Also I have considered fluid to be inviscid, incompressible and the flow regime to be laminar for simplifcation.

Can some body help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2009 #2

minger

Science Advisor

If you have the velocity (guessing obtained from Bernoulli's equation) and the area, then
    [tex] Q = AV[/tex]

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Hi,

Thanks for your initiation, but I guess you havn't understood my question,
    To start calculations, I am working from rectangular section of the duct where there is a minimum pressure requirment of 12psi is nessecary. But to start calculations assuming the pressure to be 12psi gauge ( static+dynmic pressure) and without having duct sizes(which has to be calculated), i need to evaluate volume of the rectangular duct from ideal gas law (PxV= nxRxT)for a static pressure of maximum 12psi. After which velocities and flow rates can be calculated for each sucessive duct sections from bernoullis and continuty eq.

But I need to know number of moles i.e. 'n' value for air at STP or appropriate conditions.

And as I have previously specified I have assumed Flow to be laminar, incompressible and inviscid for simplification and I will later optimize this design through CFD solver.

Thanks again
    Kiran

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I would highly recommend that you get a copy of SAE AIR1168-1, specifically sections 1A and 1B. It is very applicable to what you are designing for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook