Calculating Work Done on a 16kg Crate by Force and Weight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
perfect_piccolo
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
1. To push a 16 kg crate up a frictionless incline, angled at 15° to the horizontal, a worker exerts a force of 52.8 N, parallel to the incline. As the crate slides 1.50 m, how much work is done on the crate by the worker's applied force? b]

So I got the first part of this question without any problem. The answer is 79.1 J.

Its the next part of the question that I'm unsure about:

How much work is done on the crate by the weight of the crate?


I tried W=Fg(delta x)
W=156.8 N (1.5 m)
W = 235.2 J

But this obviously isn't right. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How much of the weight is acting parallel to the plane?
When you do your FBD mg gets split up into 2 parts, one is perpendicular to the incline, the other is pointed down the incline. You take that portion of the weight * the distance to get the work gravity does.
Also take direction into account, is gravity opposing the motion or helping move the crate?