Calculating work done with angles

In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating work done in physics using the formula W = F * s * cos(theta). The question was raised on how to get a lower value than 500 joules when multiplying by an angle less than 90 degrees. The answer was explained by using the cosine function, where the maximum work is 500 joules if the force is applied colinear to the displacement, but the cosine of any other angle will result in a lower value. The number 0.866 was obtained by using a calculator to find the cosine of 30 degrees. It was also mentioned that knowing where the formula comes from is important in understanding physics.
Tygra
Hi all.

I am trying to learn more on physics, and am at the subject on calculating work done. The formula to calculate work done is Work done = Force * Dislacement * consine(theta).

I am on a question which explains: a 100N force is applied at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal to move a 15kg object at a constant speed for a horizontal distance of 5 metres.

The answer given says "W = (100 N) * (5 m) * cos(30 degrees) = 433 J".

I would like to know how why you get 433 joules? You multiply 100 by 5 to get 500, but how does multiplying by 30 give you 433. I am up to speed on realising that the work done should be less that 500 joules because of the angle, but the formula states you multiply the angle (30), so how do you multiply the angle to get a lower value than 500?

Does every one follow what I'm asking?

Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\ W = F * s * cos(θ) [/itex]

[itex]\ W = 100 * 5 * cos(30) [/itex]

[itex]\ W = 100 * 5 * 0.866... [/itex]

[itex]\ W = 433J [/itex]

Last edited:
The cosine can never exceed 1, so you're right, the maximal work is 5m*100N if the force is applied colinear to the displacement. The cosine of any other angle than 90° is smaller than 1, thus the resultant work is smaller than 500 J.

Thanks guys.

But, rollcast, how did you find the number 0.866 from a 30 degree angle?

Because cos(30) = 0.866

Do you have a calculator? Locate the 'cos'-button on it. Type '30', then press the 'cos' button!
If the result comes out to something else than 0.866 verify that your calculator is in degree-mode (e.g. "DEG" instead of "RAD").

Oh thanks. I didn't realize it was something you couldn't work out in your head.

..well, you could work out by hand that [itex]\cos{(30^{\circ})} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex]
But that would require that you know what the cosine actually is.
Anyway it always a good idea to know where the formulae you use actually come from when doing physics.

What is the formula for calculating work done with angles?

The formula for calculating work done with angles is W = Fd cosθ, where W is the work done, F is the applied force, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

How do you calculate the angle between the force and the direction of movement?

To calculate the angle between the force and the direction of movement, you can use the trigonometric function cosine (cos). This can be done by dividing the adjacent side by the hypotenuse in a right triangle, where the adjacent side represents the force and the hypotenuse represents the distance moved.

What unit is used for work done with angles?

The unit for work done with angles is joules (J). This is the same unit used for regular work calculations.

Can the angle between the force and the direction of movement be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle between the force and the direction of movement can be greater than 90 degrees. This is because the cosine function can return negative values, which indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the movement.

How is work done with angles different from regular work calculations?

Work done with angles takes into account the angle between the force and the direction of movement, whereas regular work calculations only consider the magnitude of the force and the distance moved. This means that work done with angles is a more accurate representation of the actual work being done in a situation where the force is not acting directly in the direction of movement.