Calculating Work with Vector Components and Variable Force

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving finding the work by a given force. The object starts from the origin and moves along the x-axis to a given point, then moves in the y direction to another point. The conversation discusses two different approaches to solving the problem and clarifies that the work will be different for each approach due to the force not being conservative.
Chansu
Hello all!

I usually don't like to ask for help... But this is the first week of courses and I'm already stumped on a homework question...

1. Homework Statement
So the question states: Find the work by the force F = x^i + xy^j. If the object starts from the origin (0,0), moves along the x-axis to the point (1,0) then moves in the y direction to point (1,2). Find the work if instead, the object moves diagonally from the origin to (1,2).

F = x^i + xy^j

2. Homework Equations

W = ∫ F ⋅ ds

rise = Slope
run

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1:
First I found the work from the origin to (1,0):

W1 = ∫ (x^i + xy^j) ⋅ (dx^i + 0^j)

= ∫ x dx + 0

= ½ x2 (from 0 to 1)

= ½ (1)2 - ½ (0)2

= ½

Then from (1,0) to (1,2):

W2 = ∫ (x^i + xy^j) ⋅ (0^i + dy^j)

= ∫ (xy) dy + 0

This is where things get hard for me... I've talked to my professor a couple times but I forgot what he said about this part. He said to either solve for x in terms of y and slope; or to set the x to 1 since it is already at (1,0) and does not move on the x-axis. So I'll just use the one i went with on my paper (x = y/2)

= ∫ (y2/2) dy + 0

= ½ (⅓ y3 (from 0 to 2)

= ½ (⅓ 23 - ½ (⅓ 03

= 4/3

Wtotal = ½ + 4/3

For part 2:
From origin (0,0) to final position (1,2)

W = ∫ (x^i + xy^j) ⋅ (dx^i + dy^j)

= ∫ x dx + ∫ (xy) dy

= ½ x2 (from 0 to 1) + ½ (⅓ y3 (from 0 to 2)

= ½ + ¾Is this correct? What should I change? Thank you for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chansu said:
This is where things get hard for me... I've talked to my professor a couple times but I forgot what he said about this part. He said to either solve for x in terms of y and slope; or to set the x to 1 since it is already at (1,0) and does not move on the x-axis. So I'll just use the one i went with on my paper (x = y/2)
You should just set ##x=1## since that is the equation of a line pointing straight up. What you did in the second part looks right though.

NFuller said:
You should just set ##x=1## since that is the equation of a line pointing straight up. What you did in the second part looks right though.

Thank you!

I've mainly had trouble deciding which way to proceed because I've been comparing the two answers I get (the total from part 1 and the answer from part two). I doubted using x = 1 because then the work for part 1 wouldn't be the same as the work for part 2... I recently came to the conclusion that that is not a fluke, right? If the object were to move diagonally, the force in the y (^j) direction would rely on BOTH x and y thus causing a different work value when compared to taking the route in part 1 (along x-axis then along y-axis)?

Chansu said:
Thank you!

I've mainly had trouble deciding which way to proceed because I've been comparing the two answers I get (the total from part 1 and the answer from part two). I doubted using x = 1 because then the work for part 1 wouldn't be the same as the work for part 2... I recently came to the conclusion that that is not a fluke, right? If the object were to move diagonally, the force in the y (^j) direction would rely on BOTH x and y thus causing a different work value when compared to taking the route in part 1 (along x-axis then along y-axis)?
You get the same work along any different routes between two points if the force is conservative. The force in the problem is not.

Likes NFuller
ehild said:
You get the same work along any different routes between two points if the force is conservative. The force in the problem is not.

Alright, thank you guys!

1. How do you calculate work using vector components and variable force?

To calculate work using vector components and variable force, you will need to first determine the magnitude and direction of the force vector. Then, you will need to find the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. Finally, you can use the formula work = force x displacement x cosine of the angle to calculate the work done.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in calculating work?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. In calculating work, scalar quantities such as force and displacement are used, while vector quantities such as velocity and acceleration are not directly involved in the calculation.

3. How does the direction of force affect the calculation of work?

The direction of force affects the calculation of work because it determines the angle between the force vector and the displacement vector. This angle is used in the formula work = force x displacement x cosine of the angle, so a change in direction will result in a change in the value of work.

4. Can you calculate work with multiple forces acting on an object?

Yes, it is possible to calculate work with multiple forces acting on an object. In this case, you will need to find the vector sum of all the forces and use this combined force in the work formula. Additionally, you will need to consider the angle between the combined force vector and the displacement vector.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating work with vector components and variable force?

Calculating work with vector components and variable force is used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It can be used to determine the amount of work done by a person or machine, the efficiency of a system, and the amount of energy required for a task. It is also used in analyzing the motion of objects and designing structures that can withstand varying forces.