Calculate the volume integral over a cone of height h and radius r

• Thread starter physicss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integals
In summary: Use different symbols for the base radius and the variable radius.Is it me or is this problem more suitable for spherical coordinates?I think it is you. Try following @haruspex's advice in post #12.
physicss
Homework Statement
hello; I have to calculate the volume integral over a cone of height h and radius r located on the peak in the
origin stands of the function z(x^2+y^2)
Relevant Equations
z(x^2+y^2)
  • x from 0 to r
  • y from 0 to r
  • z from 0 to h

∫0h ∫0r ∫0r z(x^2 + y^2) dx dy dz

would that be right?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicss said:

would that be right?
What does a volume running between fixed bounds in the x, y and z directions look like?

haruspex said:
What does a volume running between fixed bounds in the x, y and z directions look like?
like a rectangular prism

physicss said:
like a rectangular prism
Right, so not a cone.
Are you familiar with cylindrical coordinates?

Likes PeroK and PhDeezNutz
haruspex said:
Right, so not a cone.
Are you familiar with cylindrical coordinates?
yes, I more or less know how to convert Cartesian coordinates into cylindrical coordinates

physicss said:
To post math equations, it's best to use the LaTeX engine that PF provides. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line. Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

Likes erobz
physicss said:
yes, I more or less know how to convert Cartesian coordinates into cylindrical coordinates
It should be obvious that the bounds will be more convenient in cylindrical coordinates, so try that.

haruspex said:
It should be obvious that the bounds will be more convenient in cylindrical coordinates, so try that.
could I also use the limits from 0 to r, from 0 to h and from 0 r/h (h - √(x^2 + y^2))? (in cartesian)

and would 0 to r, 0 to 2pi and 0 to z = h - (h/r) * sqrt(x^2 + y^2) in cylindrical coordinates be right for the limits?

thank you in advance

physicss said:
could I also use the limits from 0 to r, from 0 to h and from 0 r/h (h - √(x^2 + y^2))? (in cartesian)

and would 0 to r, 0 to 2pi and 0 to z = h - (h/r) * sqrt(x^2 + y^2) in cylindrical coordinates be right for the limits?

thank you in advance
That looks right, but I would take ##z## from ##0## to ##h## and calculate the radius of the disk at each height as a function of ##z##. That seems to me a geometrically more logical approach. A cone is effectively a set of smaller and smaller concentric disks/circles stacked on top of each other.

Or, larger and larger if the apex is at the bottom.

physicss said:

thank you in advance
That's rather unclear. What variables are going between those bounds?
E.g. "r from 0 to r" would make no sense.

You are taking the cone as made of cylindrical elements, but expressing in terms of x and y. That is not using cylindrical coordinates. Cylindrical coordinates means ##(r, \theta, z)##, no references to x or y.
And using cylindrical coordinates does not mean you have to use cylindrical elements. As @PeroK notes, it would be more convenient in disc elements.

Likes PeroK
haruspex said:
That's rather unclear. What variables are going between those bounds?
E.g. "r from 0 to r" would make no sense.

You are taking the cone as made of cylindrical elements, but expressing in terms of x and y. That is not using cylindrical coordinates. Cylindrical coordinates means ##(r, \theta, z)##, no references to x or y.
And using cylindrical coordinates does not mean you have to use cylindrical elements. As @PeroK notes, it would be more convenient in disc elements.
wouldn´t the general limits be (0,h), (0,2pi) and (0, r-rz/h) rdrdφdz?

physicss said:
wouldn´t the general limits be (0,h), (0,2pi) and (0, r-rz/h) rdrdφdz?
r cannot feature in its own bounds. Use different symbols for the base radius and the variable radius.

Likes PhDeezNutz and PeroK
Is it me or is this problem more suitable for spherical coordinates?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
I think it is you. Try following @haruspex's advice in post #12. There is a constraint that relates cylindrical variable ##r## to cylindrical variable ##z##.

Likes PeroK and PhDeezNutz
kuruman said:
I think it is you. Try following @haruspex's advice in post #12. There is a constraint that relates cylindrical variable ##r## to cylindrical variable ##z##.
May I send you my solution in spherical via PM?

PhDeezNutz said:
May I send you my solution in spherical via PM?
I will be happy to look at it.

Likes PhDeezNutz
kuruman said:
I will be happy to look at it.
Hello, I used (0,R), (0,2pi), (0,H/R*z) as the limits and I get pi*H^4*r^4/4R^2. is my solution correct? thanks in advance ( the function I used: r^3 z)

physicss said:
Hello, I used (0,R), (0,2pi), (0,H/R*z) as the limits and I get pi*H^4*r^4/4R^2. is my solution correct? thanks in advance ( the function I used: r^3 z)
Your answer is not correct. It should in terms of constant numbers and the fixed quantities ##h## and ##R##. Specifically, variable ##r## "integrates out" and does not belong. Please learn to use LaTeX when you post algebraic expressions. It's easy to learn and a useful skill to have.

kuruman said:
Your answer is not correct. It should in terms of constant numbers and the fixed quantities ##h## and ##R##. Specifically, variable ##r## "integrates out" and does not belong. Please learn to use LaTeX when you post algebraic expressions. It's easy to learn and a useful skill to have.
I give up but still thank you for your time and help

physicss said:
I give up but still thank you for your time and help
Please don't give up because you are almost there. Your method is correct. If you post the details of your solution step by step, we can help you reach the correct answer.

Likes PhDeezNutz
physicss said:

You are really really close as @kuruman pointed out.

That H/R is close but not quite right. Think about it; at the very bottom you want to be integrating over a radius of 0. At the very top when z = H what is the radius you want to be integrating over? And after you answer that question how would you change H/R?

PhDeezNutz said:
You are really really close as @kuruman pointed out.

That H/R is close but not quite right. Think about it; at the very bottom you want to be integrating over a radius of 0. At the very top when z = H what is the radius you want to be integrating over? And after you answer that question how would you change H/R?
thank you for your answer. could H(1−r/R) be right ?

physicss said:
thank you for your answer. could H(1−r/R) be right ?

The entire point of integrating over ##r## and then evaluating it at the bounds is to get rid of ##r##. As you do each successive integral you want to get rid of changing variables not keep them so in the end you can get a hard number. As others have said ##r## cannot be featured in its own bounds.

When you are integrating over ##r## you need it as a function of OTHER VARIABLES (not itself)

Let's break it down##r\left(z\right) = ## ?

When ##z = 0## we have ##r = 0##

When ##z = H## we have ##r=R##

think of a ##r## as a linear function of ##z## and tell me what you get. Your response before was ##\frac{H}{R} z## and that was painfully close. You're like an inch away.

Write ##r=\kappa~z## where ##\kappa## is some constant.
Clearly, when ##z =0,## ##r=0##.
What must ##\kappa## be so that ##r=R## when ##z=h##?
Substitute the value of ##\kappa## in the equation for ##r##.

• Care
Likes PhDeezNutz
PhDeezNutz said:
The entire point of integrating over ##r## and then evaluating it at the bounds is to get rid of ##r##. As you do each successive integral you want to get rid of changing variables not keep them so in the end you can get a hard number. As others have said ##r## cannot be featured in its own bounds.

When you are integrating over ##r## you need it as a function of OTHER VARIABLES (not itself)

Let's break it down##r\left(z\right) = ## ?

When ##z = 0## we have ##r = 0##

When ##z = H## we have ##r=R##

think of a ##r## as a linear function of ##z## and tell me what you get. Your response before was ##\frac{H}{R} z## and that was painfully close. You're like an
kuruman said:
Write ##r=\kappa~z## where ##\kappa## is some constant.
Clearly, when ##z =0,## ##r=0##.
What must ##\kappa## be so that ##r=R## when ##z=h##?
Substitute the value of ##\kappa## in the equation for ##r##.
R/h

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz
Very good. So what should the limits of the integral over ##r## be? You should be able to finish this now.

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz
physicss said:
thank you for the help. my last question is if (1/3)πr^2h is the right result? If not I swapped the order of the cylindrical coordinates while integrating. again thanks for the help and time
The right result for what? It looks like the volume of a cone of radius ##r## and height ##h##. That's not what you have here.

Likes PhDeezNutz
kuruman said:
The right result for what? It looks like the volume of a cone of radius ##r## and height ##h##. That's not what you have here.
I think I found my mistake, thanks for the help

Likes PhDeezNutz
physicss said:
I think I found my mistake, thanks for the help
Maybe you found your mistake maybe not. Posting a wrong answer, without showing how you got it, and asking if it is correct doesn't work very well when you need an extra pair of eyes looking over you shoulder.

Likes PhDeezNutz

What is the formula for calculating the volume integral over a cone?

The formula for calculating the volume integral over a cone of height h and radius r is: V = (1/3)πr^2h.

How do I determine the limits of integration for a cone?

The limits of integration for a cone will depend on the shape and orientation of the cone. Generally, the limits will be from 0 to the height of the cone for the z-axis, and from 0 to the radius of the base for the x and y axes.

Can the volume integral over a cone be calculated using any integration method?

Yes, the volume integral over a cone can be calculated using any integration method, such as the disk method, shell method, or triple integration.

What are the units of the volume integral over a cone?

The units of the volume integral over a cone will be in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

What is the significance of calculating the volume integral over a cone?

Calculating the volume integral over a cone is important in many scientific and engineering fields, as it allows for the determination of the volume of various cone-shaped objects, such as cones, pyramids, and even volcanoes.