Calculating x and y Components of a Force on a Block from Rope Pulling

  • Thread starter Thread starter cjtaylor
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Rope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
cjtaylor
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
1. A rope is attached to a block. The rope pulls on the block with a force of 225 N, at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal (this force is equal to the tension in the rope).

What is the x-component of the force on the block due to the rope?
What is the y-component of the force on the block due to the rope?




3. I have tried dividing the force by the cos of 30. Thats all I can think of to do as I missed class the day we went over this but any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cjtaylor said:
1. A rope is attached to a block. The rope pulls on the block with a force of 225 N, at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal (this force is equal to the tension in the rope).

What is the x-component of the force on the block due to the rope?
What is the y-component of the force on the block due to the rope?




3. I have tried dividing the force by the cos of 30. Thats all I can think of to do as I missed class the day we went over this but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Think about the relationships between sine, cosine, opposite side, adjacent side, and hypotenuse. Thinking about the Pythagorean theorem couldn't hurt either.
 
First off draw a diagram of the question. Then label the horizontal and vertical axis with the two components then
collinsmark said:
Think about the relationships between sine, cosine, opposite side, adjacent side, and hypotenuse.