1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation - impact force on a bollard

1. May 21, 2012 #1
    i need to work some estimations for this case for an assignment

30mph vehicle hits a bollard with 667kJ
    bollard height = 1m
    vehicle hits the bollard at approx height of 0.7m
    material = mild steel
    ultimate strength = 400mpa

in one case the bollard is 219mm ext diameter with 10mm wall thickness
    the information given is that the bollard withstood the impact

The second case i need to work out what the wall thickness should be for a 150mm ext diameter bollard to withstand the same impact

assume the failure won't be at the floor fixings
    for the time being i will ignore the fact the car deforms as well as the bollard, and there are different levels of impact(front bumper, engine etc.)

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2012 #2
    i've worked out 46mm wall thickness for the second case if i equate second moment of area of the first and second case.
    is that a fair estimation?

4. May 21, 2012 #3
    If a limiting stress isthe crierion, then use elastic section modulus (I/y), rather than second moment of area I. If collapse is the criterion use plastic section modulus.

5. May 22, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the advice

Do you know of a way to calculate the thickness without comparing it to the initial case?

6. May 24, 2012 #5
    The information on energy given suggests you can obtain an equivalent static force.

7. May 24, 2012 #6
    what do you mean?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook