Calculation - impact force on a bollard

In summary, the conversation involves working out estimations for a case involving a 30mph vehicle hitting a bollard made of mild steel with an ultimate strength of 400mpa. In one case, the bollard has a diameter of 219mm and a wall thickness of 10mm and was able to withstand the impact. In the second case, the bollard has a diameter of 150mm and the thickness needed to withstand the same impact has been calculated to be 46mm. However, there is a question about whether this is a fair estimation and if there is a way to calculate the thickness without comparing it to the initial case. The suggestion is to use elastic section modulus instead of second moment of area if
Ziv7
i need to work some estimations for this case for an assignment

30mph vehicle hits a bollard with 667kJ
bollard height = 1m
vehicle hits the bollard at approx height of 0.7m
material = mild steel
ultimate strength = 400mpa

in one case the bollard is 219mm ext diameter with 10mm wall thickness
the information given is that the bollard withstood the impact

The second case i need to work out what the wall thickness should be for a 150mm ext diameter bollard to withstand the same impact

assume the failure won't be at the floor fixings
for the time being i will ignore the fact the car deforms as well as the bollard, and there are different levels of impact(front bumper, engine etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
i've worked out 46mm wall thickness for the second case if i equate second moment of area of the first and second case.
is that a fair estimation?

If a limiting stress isthe crierion, then use elastic section modulus (I/y), rather than second moment of area I. If collapse is the criterion use plastic section modulus.

Thanks for the advice

Do you know of a way to calculate the thickness without comparing it to the initial case?

The information on energy given suggests you can obtain an equivalent static force.

what do you mean?

1. What is the formula for calculating impact force on a bollard?

The formula for calculating impact force on a bollard is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you determine the mass of the object for the calculation?

The mass of the object can be determined by either measuring it directly using a scale or by using the density and volume of the object to calculate its mass.

3. What factors can affect the impact force on a bollard?

The impact force on a bollard can be affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the stiffness and strength of the bollard itself.

4. Can the angle of impact affect the calculation of impact force?

Yes, the angle of impact can affect the calculation of impact force. The force will be greater if the object strikes the bollard at a 90-degree angle compared to a glancing blow at a smaller angle.

5. How can the calculation of impact force on a bollard be used in real-life situations?

The calculation of impact force on a bollard is useful in a variety of real-life situations, such as designing bollards for traffic safety, determining the force of impact in car accidents, and evaluating the strength of barriers in industrial settings.