Calculation loss of energy due to friction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
okgo
Messages
61
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



http://i43.tinypic.com/i1bq1i.jpg
I need help with number 9

Homework Equations



Wnet=change in KE
Wnc=Change in Energy

The Attempt at a Solution


I haven't been able to get the answer marked by the computer.
I tried Fs(h*cos15)=.5mv^2-mgh
and that is way off the anwser
 
Physics news on Phys.org
okgo said:
I haven't been able to get the answer marked by the computer.
I tried Fs(h*cos15)=.5mv^2-mgh
and that is way off the anwser

Can you explain that equation? I don't understand what F and s are, or how you derived Fs(h*cos15).
 
sorry I meant that F(k) which is the force due to kinetic friction.
The equation for work is FDcos(theta). They gave use the height so I calculated the distance of the slope by Pythagorean theorem which gives cos(15)*the height.