Calculation Of the energy Of beta decay in tritium

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy emitted in the form of beta radiation by a "Tritiglow" product sold on Amazon. The individual attempted to calculate the energy using a mathematical equation, but faced difficulty due to an unclear image and a lack of understanding of the decay process. They also questioned the accuracy of the product's advertised energy output and how to calculate the amount of radiation emitted in one second. Through further discussion, it was determined that the actual amount of radiation emitted is likely very low and that the advertised energy output is likely not accurate. The conversation also touches on the concept of charge and baryon conservation in the decay process and the limitations of using tritium for commercial purposes.
Physics news on Phys.org
That is out of focus, illegible, and is a wall of numbers. Why not type out your calculation symbolically?

Tritium doesn't decay to another isotope of hydrogen plus an electron, that would violate charge conservation and baryon number conservation. You are also missing one decay product.

I have no idea what you try to calculate in the bottom part. Comments (in English!) would help.

Likes Atomillo
mfb said:
Tritium doesn't decay to another isotope of hydrogen plus an electron, that would violate charge conservation and baryon number conservation. You are also missing one decay product.

I have no idea what you try to calculate in the bottom part. Comments (in English!) would help.
I tried to calculate the percentatge of mass that converts into energy, then apply it to the 5 grams converted into amus and then input that value into E=MC squared. Also the fórmula is from wikipedia

Atomillo said:
I tried to calculate the percentatge of mass that converts into energy, then apply it to the 5 grams converted into amus and then input that value into E=MC squared. Also the fórmula is from wikipedia
Sorry. It decay into helium 4. My bad

It doesn't decay to helium-4 either.

If you have 5 grams of tritium where all atoms decay, the released energy will be quite large. It is spread out over decades, however, and you won't find any commercial product that contains 5 grams of tritium.

Likes Atomillo
Oh. Marketing fooled me. That makes sense, but leaves me with three questions. 1 how many Tritium is in one if the "Tritiglows"?
2 The energy calculated os the total energy produced un all the Life Of the isotope?
3 If that's the case, how can I calculate how many radiation will be produced in one second to convert It into Watts?
And thanks for all the help!

Atomillo said:
1 how many Tritium is in one if the "Tritiglows"?
That will depend on the specific product.
Tritium costs something like $100,000 per gram. Consider the price of the product and think how much tritium can be in there at most. The actual number will be much lower than that.
Atomillo said:
2 The energy calculated os the total energy produced un all the Life Of the isotope?
Well, you calculated the energy released if all atoms decay.
Atomillo said:
3 If that's the case, how can I calculate how many radiation will be produced in one second to convert It into Watts?
Divide by the lifetime to get the initial decay rate.

Likes Atomillo
Thank you so much!
I really appreciate your help.
Because you answer perfectly my question how can I mark the answer or close the threat? As you can see, I am very new, both to the forum and to nuclear physics.

Beta decay does release 18 keV energy per decay event, but not all of it is released in form of beta radiation.
Some of it is released in form of antineutrino, some in form of recoil of the helium 3 cation and some in form of chemical energy of the helium cation.
How can Atomillo calculate the energy that, on average, goes specifically to beta radiation?

Atomillo said:
Because you answer perfectly my question how can I mark the answer or close the threat?
We typically don't close threads if they don't violate the forum rules, and the checkmark exists in the homework section only.

@snorkack: By integrating over the electron energy spectrum and neglecting the nuclear recoil. Please open a separate thread if you want to continue that.

Likes Atomillo
Okey when I end the calculus should I post It here?

Ok I have done the calculus of energy emitted in one second by 0,5 gramos of Tritium. The result is about 20,23 Watts. That is two Big or is It okay? Do I upload the math?

That is too high - even if you take the total energy, not just the electron energy.
And 0.5 grams is way too much for commercial applications as well.

Yes. I calculate how many Tritium gas in the vial ( for the dimensiones given) and I got 0,00017 g. Now all the math and results make a lot more sense. Thanks

I would bet the actual amount of radiation being emitted is more towards zero, since tritium beta radiation is very low energy and would likely be stopped by the plastic vial containing it.

It still produces some heat, that is independent of the shielding.

170 microgram is still on the high side for that thing.

1. What is beta decay and how is it related to tritium?

Beta decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a nucleus releases a beta particle (either an electron or a positron) to become more stable. Tritium, also known as hydrogen-3, is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen that undergoes beta decay to become helium-3.

2. How is the energy of beta decay in tritium calculated?

The energy of beta decay in tritium is calculated using the formula E=mc^2, where E is the energy released, m is the mass difference between the parent and daughter nuclei, and c is the speed of light. This calculation takes into account the mass of the beta particle and the mass of the daughter nucleus.

3. What factors can affect the energy of beta decay in tritium?

The energy of beta decay in tritium can be affected by the nuclear spin of the parent and daughter nuclei, the distribution of energy between the beta particle and the daughter nucleus, and the amount of energy released as gamma rays during the decay process.

4. How does the energy of beta decay in tritium relate to the half-life of the isotope?

The energy of beta decay in tritium is directly proportional to the half-life of the isotope. This means that the longer the half-life, the lower the energy released during beta decay, and vice versa.

5. Why is the calculation of energy in beta decay important in studying tritium?

The calculation of energy in beta decay is important in studying tritium because it allows scientists to understand the stability and behavior of this isotope. The energy released during beta decay can also have practical applications, such as in nuclear energy and medical imaging.