Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle energies after beta decay in different frames

1. Jan 19, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I am reading in some books that after the [itex]\beta[/itex]-decay of neutrons, the maximum energy of the resulting electron is a bit less than 800 keV. In some cases, however, I see that in e.g. some studies that try to extract the electron energy from [itex]\beta[/itex]-decay of neutrons with some Monte Carlo codes, they allow for the energy of the electron to acquire much higher values. Do I suspect correctly that this possibly due to different frames of reference?

How can I calculate the maximum electron energy from a decay of e.g. a 100 MeV neutron in the lab frame?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is one referring to free neutrons, as opposed to neutrons in a nucleus.

This presentation gives a cutoff of 782 keV (I'm assuming thermal or cold neutrons near rest)
    http://www.jlab.org/Hall-C/talks/08_09_07/martin.pdf (slide 16) Slide 21 has some neutron energy spectra.
    The maximum beta energy is given as 782 keV +/- 13 keV in -
    http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~phylabs/adv/ReprintsPDF/BRA%20Reprints/03%20-%20Beta%20Decay.pdf [Broken]

If a neutron has an initial kinetic energy, then that energy would be partitioned to the proton, electron and antineutrino following decay. Apply conservation of energy and momentum.

A terrestrially produced 100 MeV neutron would require a high energy spallation source.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jan 20, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right. The energy of a particle is always frame-dependent.

With special relativity, see this topic for a similar question. I would expect a value of ~900 keV as maximal energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook