Calculation on a water cooled compressor

In summary, it is assumed that the water temperatur in step 2 is between 288 and 313K, and that the flow rate of glycol solution will be heated by 20 kW. The material being compressed is air, and the inlet and outlet temperatures are not known.
mariuog
2mi581v.jpg

How can i calculate the water temperatur in step 3? Do i need more information?
We can assume the water temperatur in step 2 is anything between 288 and 313K.
If anyone knows how to calculate step 4, ill take that as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some items needed:
1) flow rate of glycol & sea water
2) material being compressed
3) inlet & outlet temperatures of material being compressed

Usually you can obtain the heat transfer requirements from the compressor supplier.

Depending on the type of exchanger, step 2 could be 288 K. That information is also needed.

Likes mariuog
Vedward said:
Some items needed:
1) flow rate of glycol & sea water
2) material being compressed
3) inlet & outlet temperatures of material being compressed

Usually you can obtain the heat transfer requirements from the compressor supplier.

Depending on the type of exchanger, step 2 could be 288 K. That information is also needed.
The flow rate of water+glycol is 6,8 liter/s
The material been compressed is air, i don't know the inlet & outlet temperatures, but i know the max temperature of the air inlet is 313K but reference conditions is 293K.
Can you make an assumption of the rest of the values and show how to calculate the temperatures in step 3? Let's say step 2 is 300K(you can choose something else if you want to)
Thank you so much for the answer!

I looked in my old work files, it seems a 300 kW compressor needs about 20 kW cooling. This is from manufacturer's data, not computable from standard conditions. So the 6.8 l/s flow of glycol solution will be heated by 20 kW. When I was working, I did all my calculations in English units (actually American units, now since we are the only one using them nowadays), so you will have to calculate the temperature rise in K using the specific heat of the glycol solution, since I don't have this data in SI units.

V. Eddy

OP: Do you know the air flow rate? Have you given us all the information?

1. How do you calculate the cooling capacity of a water cooled compressor?

The cooling capacity of a water cooled compressor can be calculated by multiplying the mass flow rate of the water by the specific heat capacity of water and the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet water. This will give you the amount of heat removed by the water cooling system.

2. What is the purpose of a water cooled compressor?

A water cooled compressor is designed to remove heat from the compressed air and keep the compressor running at a safe temperature. This prevents damage to the compressor and ensures efficient operation.

3. How do you determine the water flow rate required for a water cooled compressor?

The water flow rate required for a water cooled compressor can be determined by dividing the cooling capacity by the product of the specific heat capacity of water and the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet water. This will give you the necessary mass flow rate of water.

4. What factors affect the performance of a water cooled compressor?

The performance of a water cooled compressor can be affected by various factors such as the temperature and quality of the cooling water, the type and design of the compressor, and the operating conditions. Regular maintenance and proper operation can also impact the performance of the compressor.

5. What are the advantages of using a water cooled compressor over an air cooled compressor?

Compared to air cooled compressors, water cooled compressors offer higher cooling efficiency and can handle higher temperatures and pressures. They also produce less noise and can be used in a wider range of environments. However, they may require more maintenance and have higher initial costs.