Calculations on a fireworks rocket?

In summary: But then again, ive only skimmed over some things and im not really sure about all the variables involved.I think its important to remember that a good summarizer is not a responder or a responder. A summarizer is someone who takes the time to read through the entire conversation and extract the main points, and then provides a summary of that conversation.
Patrick5234
So I'll soon be writing an assigntment on the physics and chemistry behind firework rockets and that's why I'm here! I've already prepared for the chemistry part but when it comes to the physics part then I am a bit lost. Bare in mind that I'm supposed to learn something new (myself) and explain that in my assignment, that being said i haven't learned what I am about to write about. I thought about aerodynamics on the rocket and i can figure that out on my own but then i thought about the rocket itself and its travel.

I thought about calculating the rocket trajectory with fuel and so on. A fireworks rocket of course doesn't go into orbit as it explodes in the end. I've already learned the physics behind projectile motion but it isn't quite the same. As an actual rocket has a motor.

My question is, where do i find stuff like this? I've searched around a little bit but I'm a bit confused. Where can i find the formulas for stuff like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most important thing with rockets is their propulsion method. It's what makes them rockets and not something else after all. The basic idea is that a rocket uses a rocket engine to 'throw' mass out the back, which by Newton's laws generates a reaction force that throws the rocket forwards. There's a lot of math involved here, so I'd choose one specific thing and focus on that.
Here are a few links for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta-v
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_engine

The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation (commonly just called "The Rocket Equation") is one of the most basic equations for rockets. It gives you the total amount of delta-v as a function of starting mass, ending mass, and isp. Delta-v stands for 'change in velocity', and gives you the total change in velocity that a rocket potentially has (because rockets often operate in space, where they are constantly in motion even without thrusting, we can't specify a maximum distance for them like we can with cars or planes.).For a simple rocket you can basically choose how much delta-v you want, choose your fuel type, and then use the rocket equation to figure out how much fuel you'll need versus your dry mass. That's a very, very rough overview of the process of course. The actual design process involves a lot of iterations, modeling, and even trial and error.

If you're interested, you can find an enormous number of books on rockets on Amazon or other similar websites.

Likes Patrick5234
Thanks for replying :), would it be enough to cover Tsiolkovsky rocket equation though? I feel like I am missing something with the actual fireworks part. Yeah a rocket is a rocket and the principle is the same wether its outer space or in the bounds of Earth's atmosphere. Covering the equation is of course a really good idea but what about stuff like the launch of the rocket under gravitys force?

Classic exam questions invitee you to apply conservation of momentum to the parts of an exploding shell.

Likes Patrick5234
CWatters said:
Classic exam questions invitee you to apply conservation of momentum to the parts of an exploding shell.
Ah yes, ill note that down. Thanks :)

Patrick5234 said:
Covering the equation is of course a really good idea but what about stuff like the launch of the rocket under gravitys force?

That's quite easy. You just need to transform the trajectory from an inertial system into a free falling system, simply by adding g·t²/2.

Including aerodynamics is much more complicate. You will need to solve the equation of motion that results from thrust, gravity and drag.

Likes Patrick5234
I already thought about talking about aerodynamics but only about the coneshape on the rocket (the point). Including stuff like differential equations was a part of the plan when i get around to starting the project.

1. How do you calculate the maximum height of a fireworks rocket?

The maximum height of a fireworks rocket can be calculated using the following formula: H = (V² * sin²θ) / 2g Where H is the maximum height, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the flight time of a fireworks rocket?

The flight time of a fireworks rocket can be calculated using the following formula: t = 2V * sinθ / g Where t is the flight time, V is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you determine the optimal launch angle for a fireworks rocket?

The optimal launch angle for a fireworks rocket is typically between 45-60 degrees. This angle allows for the maximum height and flight time. However, the exact optimal angle can also depend on factors such as wind conditions and the desired visual effect.

4. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a fireworks rocket during flight?

The velocity of a fireworks rocket during flight can be calculated using the following formula: V = V₀ - gt Where V is the velocity, V₀ is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed since launch.

5. How do you determine the total distance traveled by a fireworks rocket?

The total distance traveled by a fireworks rocket can be calculated by multiplying the average velocity (Vavg) by the total flight time (t). This can be represented by the following equation: d = Vavg * t Where d is the total distance, Vavg is the average velocity, and t is the flight time.