1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Derivation of Rocket Equation Using Relative Velocity

1. Feb 7, 2017 #1
    Based on my current understanding of the problem I do not see this following derivation as valid, although this is what was given in my course notes. Although this particular example is from an undergraduate physics course this is not a homework problem: I'm confused about the underlying concept. I will highlight below the specific step I do not understand. Here is the given derivation of the rocket equation:

A rocket of mass [itex]M_{0}[/itex] (excluding fuel) originally has fuel of mass [itex]m_{0}[/itex] which is being ejected at constant velocity [itex]u[/itex] downward, relative to the rocket at a constant rate [itex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex]. By conservation of momentum, the rocket acquires a velocity [itex]v[/itex] upward. Applying momentum conservation in the frame of an observer we have:
    [tex]\frac{d(M(t)v)}{dt} = M(t)\frac{dv}{dt} + v\frac{dM(t)}{dt} = (v - u) \frac{dm}{dt}[/tex] ***the expression after the last equals sign is what I do not get. ***
    Since [itex]dM=dm[/itex] we have:
    [tex]M(t)\frac{dv}{dt} = -\frac{dM(t)}{dt}u[/tex]
    which is the rocket equation.
    Okay, so most of that makes sense (kind of), but the relative velocity part seems kind of questionable (or hand-wavy at the very least) since the entire premise behind being able to treat a fluid's change in momentum being only due to its rate of change of mass is that the velocity is constant, which it is clearly not in the case of v - u. In other words, why does the force from a fluid equation [itex]F = v\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex] still work if v is not constant, but changing with time? Shouldn't the right hand side of the line in question read [itex]\frac{dm(v-u)}{dt} = \frac{dm}{dt}v + \frac{dv}{dt}m - \frac{dm}{dt}u[/itex] since v isn't constant? Sorry, I tried to make this as succinct as possible. If someone could point me in the general direction and help me understand how I am misunderstanding this idea I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first step, d(mv)/dt= mdv/dt+vdm/dt, is problematic. In effect, it treats the mass m(t) of a closed system as something that can vary. This is of course nonsense. Ending up with the right rocket equation appears to be via some sleight of hand, and I think it is that part that had you foxed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted