1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2 volume integration, y=axis

1. Nov 3, 2011 #1
    Hello, so I've been having lots of trouble with a math problem.
    I can differentiate functions but i'm kinda confused on what to do when it is like y=4

So say you have the given: y= x^2 and then y=4, x=0, x=2. Rotate about the y-axis.
    I'm know you have to get it into respect to y so x=sqrt(y) but what would I do from there?! you can't put x in terms of y for y=4! i'm confused. Can somebody help me out or point me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

they are giving you 4 different curves or lines and you are supposed to envision the region bounded by those curves or lines. so you have the line y=4 at the top, y=x^2 on the right, .......

ooops, your equations do not fit together to give one region. you need to re - read the question.

4. Nov 3, 2011 #3
    Okay well the y=x^2 is a parabola so it goes on both sides of the y-axis. And then the y=4 is another bounding line.

we are supposed to rotate the bounded region from x=0 to 2 around the y-axis.

I'm just confused on how to rotate it around like that.

5. Nov 3, 2011 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well you don't want to say x=2 if you know y=4 and y = x^2. rather you should say y = x^2 for x≥0, y=4, and x=0. but if thats what it said, its their fault not yours.

so apparently the region is bounded by y = x^2 for x≥0, x = 0 and y=4. that makes it a portion of the right half of the parabola. then you rotate it around the y axis.

is that hard to see? your book may not be too well written.

6. Nov 3, 2011 #5
    well they give me the limits x=0 and x=2. y=x^2 and y=4 intersect at x=2.

I can imagine it. I'm just confused how to rotate it around the y=axis. what method to use and how to get the variables needed in the method. I tried the shells method and that didn't work. I didn't understand how to get the needed material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook