1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 3 Triple Integration in Spherical Coords

1. Apr 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use spherical coordinates to evaluate the triple integral z dV where Q is the solid that lies between x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and x^2+y^2+z^2=4.

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure what goes here :P

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've gotten everything set up, im having problems with boundaries I think. Currently I am using 0 to 2[tex]\pi[/tex] for [tex]\vartheta[/tex], 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] for [tex]\varphi[/tex] and 1 to 2 for [tex]\rho[/tex]. When solving, I get zero as my final answer, and since I'm not clear on the conceptual meaning of a triple integral that isn't of a function that equals 1 (volume) I don't know if this answer makes sense.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is zero. It's the integral of z on the volume between two spheres centered on the origin. It's as much positive as negative. The two cancel. But you should be using rho from 1 to 2.

4. Apr 30, 2009 #3
    Nevermind, read what you wrote again.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  5. Apr 30, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Makes a lot of sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook