1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus - find average rate of change of the function over a given interval

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Calculus - plz help find average rate of change of the function over a given interval

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

h(t) = sin t, [3pi/4,4pi/3]

plz help me solve this, try to give me an explanation on every step plz. i checked but i can't find anything on this in the book. i am basically having problem with this because of the sin.

13z31z.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    25z5w9l.gif
    i got to there also but i dont know how to solve the sin part. how does the square root come in.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Calculus - plz help find average rate of change of the function over a given inte

Do you know sin([itex]\pi/3[/itex]) = sin(60 deg.)?
    Do you know sin([itex]\pi/4[/itex]) = sin(45 deg.)?
    The sines of these angles are numerically equal to the sines, respectively, of the two angles you showed. There are a few angles whose sine, cosine, and tangent you should memorize.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    Re: Calculus - plz help find average rate of change of the function over a given inte

[sin(4π/3) - sin(3π/4)] / (4π/3 - 3π/4)
    = (-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12)
    = -6(√3 - √2) / (7π)

this is what i got but its none of the 4 multiple choice answers. whats wrong in here?

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your last line should be -6(√3+√2)/(7π)

You didn't factor the - sign properly

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5

Thank you very much. but if you guyz can plz explain a lil clearly to me how do u go from this step : (-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12))
    to this:
    = -6(√3 - √2) / (7π)

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

(-√3/2 - √2/2) / (7π/12)) = -1/2(√3 + √2) * 12/(7π) = -6(√3 + √2)/(7π)

BTW, my earlier post was slightly off: sin(π/3) = -sin(4π/3). Looks like you caught that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook