Calculus for beginners - Book, Website to learn

In summary, Verty recommends that someone like her who has a background in computer science but is not good at proving theorems and algorithms should start with a book on set theory and work their way up to calculus. She also recommends reading an introduction to logic book.
kalpana0611
Hi,

I have completed both my bachelors and masters in the computer science field. The thing is, to go further …in maybe research oriented stuff. I would need to prove theorems and algorithms which for now..I do not think I am good at. I have to start from the basic, and I remember doing some mathematical subjects back in undergraduate days, but even then I did not do well in subjects like..design analysis & algorithm or discrete structures. .and I think I have to learn calculus for that, where do I start, any beginner calculus books that I can find on the Net ?
And how do people actually prove theorems and algorithms in computer science, what other mathematics subjects that should be suggested to people like me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think Set Theory is great as a study of proof, I particularly like this book:

Suppes - Axiomatic Set Theory.

It starts at the beginning but is perfectly clear about what facts are being assumed/used in each proof. Each chapter is a little less verbose than the previous one, helping one to gain skill while working through it.

In addition to that, a book to get you thinking logically:

Tarski - Introduction to logic

I think if you read this book, do the exercises, and work through Suppes proving all that you can, you'll be "mathematically mature" and ready to go.

You asked about calculus, you can learn it online: MIT OCW

Discrete Mathematics may also be relevant to you but I would do the above first.

Last edited:
kalpana0611 said:
Hi Verty

Thank you so much for the reply, I will definitely check it out. On the MIT open courseware,

I also found a book title Calculus Online Textbook at http://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/

Should I start with this book or the one with the single variable calculus. Both are introductory courses.

For me it was too slow going; I like to get the content and be able to play with it, like "this is true, this is what it means, here is what it is used for, here are related problems/exercises". It didn't suit me personally but it has a lot of real world problems so you may find it useful. Either would do, it's just that the first one suits my style more.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as derivatives, integrals, and limits to solve problems related to rates of change and accumulation.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it is widely used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for solving real-world problems that involve rates of change and accumulation.

3. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but it is not impossible to learn. With dedication, practice, and a good understanding of mathematical concepts, anyone can learn Calculus.

4. What are some good resources for beginners to learn Calculus?

There are various resources available for beginners to learn Calculus, such as textbooks, online courses, and interactive websites. Some popular resources include "Calculus for Dummies", Khan Academy's Calculus course, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How can I apply Calculus in real life?

Calculus has many practical applications in everyday life, such as predicting the growth of populations, calculating interest rates, optimizing stock portfolios, and designing buildings and bridges. It is also used in fields like medicine, computer science, and data analysis.