Calculus of Variations: interesting substitution

Shoot! Ok, so we would actually have $$\int r \sqrt{dr^2 + d\theta^2 r^2} = \int r\sqrt{r'^2+r^2}\,d\theta$$ which implies ##F=r\sqrt{r'^2+r^2}##. Since ##F## is independent of ##\theta##, Euler's equation reduces to ##F-r'F_{r'}=C##, and is stated as$$C=r\sqrt{r^2+r'^2}-\frac{rr'^2}{\sqrt{r^2+r'^2}}\implies\\ \int\,d\theta=\int \frac{dr}{
member 428835

Homework Statement

Find the externals of the functional
$$\int\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\sqrt{1+y'^2}\,dx$$
Hint: use polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

##x=r\cos\theta##
##y=r\sin\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

Transforming the given functional where ##r=r(\theta)## yields
$$\int r\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{r'(\theta)\sin\theta+r\cos\theta}{r'(\theta)\cos\theta-r\sin\theta}\right)^2}(r'(\theta)\cos\theta-r\sin\theta)\,d\theta$$ which doesn't seem to help much. Does anyone see anyhting I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:

Homework Statement

Find the externals of the functional
$$\int\sqrt{x^2+y^2}\sqrt{1+y'^2}\,dx$$
Hint: use polar coordinates.

Homework Equations

##x=r\cos\theta##
##y=r\sin\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

Transforming the given functional where ##r=r(\theta)## yields
$$\int r\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{r'(\theta)\sin\theta+r\cos\theta}{r'(\theta)\cos\theta-r\sin\theta}\right)^2}(r'(\theta)\cos\theta-r\sin\theta)\,d\theta$$ which doesn't seem to help much. Does anyone see anyhting I did wrong?
That simplifies hugely. Bring the trailing factor inside the square root and expand the brackets.

Likes member 428835
haruspex said:
That simplifies hugely. Bring the trailing factor inside the square root and expand the brackets.
Wow, I hate that I didn't see this!:headbang:

For completeness, here is the rest (I think)

$$\int r\sqrt{1+\left(r'(\theta)\sin\theta+r\cos\theta\right)^2}\,d\theta$$ Then I suppose simply use Euler's formula where ##F = r\sqrt{1+\left(r'(\theta)\sin\theta+r\cos\theta\right)^2}##.

joshmccraney said:
For completeness, here is the rest (I think)

$$\int r\sqrt{1+\left(r'(\theta)\sin\theta+r\cos\theta\right)^2}\,d\theta$$
No, it should be simpler than that. It's easier, perhaps, if you start by writing ##\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx## as ##\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}##.

haruspex said:
No, it should be simpler than that. It's easier, perhaps, if you start by writing ##\sqrt{1+y'^2}dx## as ##\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2}##.
Ok, but ##dx = (\partial_r x) dr+(\partial_\theta x) d\theta = \cos\theta dr-r\sin\theta d\theta##, right (I figured I'd ask before going through all the math).

Before I was thinking $$\frac{d y}{dx} = \frac{d_\theta y}{d_\theta x}=\frac{\partial_ry\cdot\partial_\theta r+\partial_\theta y}{\partial_rx\cdot\partial_\theta r+\partial_\theta x}=\frac{\sin\theta r'(\theta)+r\cos\theta}{\cos\theta r'(\theta)-r\sin\theta}$$ Is this correct?

I agree with all your equations in posts 1, 6 and 7, but not the one in post 4.
What do you get for dx2+dy2?

haruspex said:
I agree with all your equations in posts 1, 6 and 7, but not the one in post 4.
What do you get for dx2+dy2?
Oops, I forgot to distribute! ##dx^2=( \cos\theta dr-r\sin\theta d\theta)^2## and ##dy^2=( \sin\theta dr+r\cos\theta d\theta)^2##. Then ##dy^2+dx^2=dr^2+r^2d\theta^2## so the integral in post 1 becomes $$\int r dr^2+r^3d\theta^2$$ Now are we free to arbitrarily select the independent variable?

joshmccraney said:
Oops, I forgot to distribute! ##dx^2=( \cos\theta dr-r\sin\theta d\theta)^2## and ##dy^2=( \sin\theta dr+r\cos\theta d\theta)^2##. Then ##dy^2+dx^2=dr^2+r^2d\theta^2## so the integral in post 1 becomes $$\int r dr^2+r^3d\theta^2$$ Now are we free to arbitrarily select the independent variable?
You seem to have dropped a sqrt operation.

haruspex said:
You seem to have dropped a sqrt operation.
Shoot! Ok, so we would actually have $$\int r \sqrt{dr^2 + d\theta^2 r^2} = \int r\sqrt{r'^2+r^2}\,d\theta$$ which implies ##F=r\sqrt{r'^2+r^2}##. Since ##F## is independent of ##\theta##, Euler's equation reduces to ##F-r'F_{r'}=C##, and is stated as
$$C=r\sqrt{r^2+r'^2}-\frac{rr'^2}{\sqrt{r^2+r'^2}}\implies\\
\int\,d\theta=\int \frac{dr}{\sqrt{C_1r^6-r^2}}\implies\\
\theta = C-\frac{arccot\sqrt{-1 + C_1 r^4}}{2}\\
\cot(C_2-2\theta)=\sqrt{-1 + C_1 r^4}$$ Have I made a mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal solution for a function or functional. It involves minimizing or maximizing a functional, which is a mathematical expression involving a function and its derivatives.

2. How is calculus of variations used in real-world applications?

The calculus of variations has many practical applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. For example, it is used to find the path that minimizes travel time for a spacecraft, or the shape of a beam that can withstand the most weight. It is also used in finance to optimize investment strategies and in biology to model animal foraging behavior.

3. What is an interesting substitution in calculus of variations?

An interesting substitution in calculus of variations is a change of variables that simplifies the functional and makes it easier to find the optimal solution. For example, substituting a function with its derivative can sometimes lead to a simpler functional that is easier to solve.

4. How does the substitution method work in calculus of variations?

The substitution method in calculus of variations involves replacing the original function with a new variable, and then solving for the optimal solution in terms of this new variable. This can make the problem simpler and more manageable, as it reduces the number of variables involved and can reveal hidden patterns or symmetries.

5. What are some common techniques used in calculus of variations?

Some common techniques used in calculus of variations include the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the critical points of a functional; the method of variation of parameters, which involves varying the parameters of a function to find the optimal solution; and the boundary value problem approach, which involves imposing boundary conditions on the functional to find the optimal solution. Other techniques include the use of Lagrange multipliers, the method of successive approximations, and the calculus of variations on manifolds.