1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Problem - Properties of a Function

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    Hello

I have a mathematical problem that I could not solve. Could you please give me some hints how to solve it?

Let [itex]f: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] be a continous and on [itex](0,1)[/itex] a differentiable function with following properties:

a) [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex]
    b) there exists a [itex]M>0[/itex] with [itex]|f'(x)| \leq M |f(x)| [/itex] for all [itex]x \in (0,1)[/itex]

Now the problem is: Show that [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex] is true for all [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex]

There is a hint given but it doesn't help me The hint is: Consider the set [itex]D = \{ x \in [0,1]: ~ f(t) =0 [/itex] for [itex]t \in [0,x] \}[/itex] and show that the the supremum of this set is [itex]1[/itex].

Thanks for help
    Greetings

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What if we look at the interval ##I = [0, \frac{1}{2M}]## or ##I = [0, 1]##, whichever is smaller. This ensures that any point in ##I## will be no larger than ##\frac{1}{2M}##.

As ##f## is continuous on ##I##, so is ##|f|##, so ##|f|## achieves a maximum at some point ##x \in I##. If ##x = 0## then we're done. Otherwise, we can apply the mean value theorem to ##f## on ##[0,x]## and, with a bit of work, derive a contradiction.

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

P.S. The above will show that under the given hypotheses, we will have ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x \in I##. If ##I = [0,1]## then we're done. Otherwise, this shows that ##f(x) = 0## for all ##0 \leq x \leq \frac{1}{2M}##. In that case, you can repeat the argument for ##[\frac{1}{2M}, \frac{2}{2M}]## and so forth until you have covered all of ##[0,1]##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook