Calculus problem which requires me to isolate X

• Thread starter paiway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about solving a calculus problem involving equating equations and isolating the variable x. The first equation is √x = e^-3x and the person has reached the point where ln x = -6x but is unable to continue. Another person suggests taking e to both sides to get x = e^-6x, but this leads to the same original equation. It is concluded that there may not be a solution algebraically and a unique solution, defined as the GibZ Constant, is suggested by one person.
paiway
I'm solving a calculus problem which requires me to equate both equations, but I can't isolate X:

√x = e^-3x

What I've got so far is:

ln√x = ln e^-3x

ln√x = -3x

1/2 ln x = -3x

ln x = -6x ... but from here I can't continue, please help:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
you mean you want to solve for x right?? well, i don't think that can be done in terms of standard functions.

Yeah, like said, i can only show that a sol, to this eq exists, but i don't believe there is a solution algebraically. YOu can only solve it numerically.

I have quite a remarkable exact solution -

The GibZ Constant - G​

where G is defined to be the unique solution to the equation [itex]log_e x + 6x = 0[/itex] lol.

well if you got to here , heh , just a thought

ln x = -6x

take e to both sides
and get x=e^-6x

:D

th3plan said:
well if you got to here , heh , just a thought

ln x = -6x

take e to both sides
and get x=e^-6x

:D

...and...end up with exactly what you started with...lol...

1. What is the first step in isolating X in a calculus problem?

The first step in isolating X in a calculus problem is to identify all terms that contain X. This includes terms on both sides of the equation as well as any terms within functions or expressions. Once all terms containing X have been identified, they can be moved to one side of the equation, leaving X on the other side.

2. How do I move terms containing X to one side of the equation?

To move terms containing X to one side of the equation, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations should be applied to both sides of the equation in order to maintain balance.

3. What should I do if there are multiple X terms in the equation?

If there are multiple X terms in the equation, you should first combine like terms on each side of the equation. Then, you can choose one X term to isolate and move all other terms to the opposite side. Repeat this process until only one X term remains on one side of the equation.

4. Can I use calculus rules and formulas to isolate X?

Yes, you can use calculus rules and formulas to isolate X in a calculus problem. This may involve taking derivatives or integrals of both sides of the equation, or using the rules of limits and continuity.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when isolating X in a calculus problem?

One common mistake to avoid when isolating X in a calculus problem is forgetting to apply the same operation to both sides of the equation. This can lead to an unbalanced equation and an incorrect solution. Additionally, it is important to carefully manipulate the equation and keep track of the terms being moved in order to avoid making errors.