1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Related Rates Problems

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    Two carts, A and B, are connected by a rope 39 ft long that passes over a pulley P (see the figure). The point Q is on the floor h = 12 ft directly beneath P and between the carts. Cart A is being pulled away from Q at a speed of 2.5 ft/s. How fast is cart B moving toward Q at the instant when cart A is 5 ft from Q?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    I'm not too sure where to go with this but I think I got the start:

(x^2+12^2)^1/2+(y^2+12^2)^1/2=39

Can somewhere tell me if this is right and where to go from here?

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, gina4930! :smile:

You mentioned something about a figure?
    I'm afraid it's too hard for me to deduce what you're doing without a figure. :redface:

5. Nov 1, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume your picture shows two carts, on a level surface, connected by a rope passing over a pulley at some point above and between them. The height of the pulley is 12 ft. Let x be the distance from Q to one cart and y the distance from Q to the other cart. Then the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the first cart, P, and Q, is given by [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 144}[/itex]. The hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the second cart, P, and Q, is given by [itex]\sqrt{y^2+ 144}[/itex]. The two hypotenuses form the entire length of the rope: [itex]\sqrt{x^2+ 144}+ \sqrt{y^2+ 144}= 39[/itex]. That's the formula you have. Well, done!

That is the "static" formula. To get a "dynamic" formula, relating the rates of motion, differentiate both sides with respect to t, using the chain rule. Your final formula will involve both dx/dt and dy/dt. You are given one and asked to find the other.

6. Nov 1, 2011 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hey HoI! :wink:

That looks like a very plausible interpretation of the problem!

7. Nov 1, 2011 #6
    When I differentiated the equation, I got:
    1/2(x^2+144)^-1/2*(2x*dx/dt) + 1/2(y^2+144)^-1/2*(2y*dy/dt)=0
    then I substituted in x=-5 , dx/dt= -2.5 , and y= (533)^1/2
    When I solved for dy/dt I got two totally different answers. The first time I got -1.08 and the second time I got -.04. According to my online assignment, neither of these are correct. Can anyone point out my mistake? Thanks!

8. Nov 1, 2011 #7

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Looking good...

But how did you get y=(533)^1/2?

9. Nov 1, 2011 #8
    I solved for y using the original equation. I thought using (533)^1/2 is more accurate then putting 23.1.

10. Nov 1, 2011 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Ah well, after correcting a mistake of my own, I get y=√532, which is still different from yours.

And after that I get dy/dt=-1.084 m/s.

Since the problem asks how fast cart B is moving toward Q, the answer should be 1.084 m/s.
    Can it be that it should be without a minus sign?

11. Nov 1, 2011 #10
    I did not even think to put it without a minus sign. Thank you. Thank was the correct answer. I greatly appreciate it.

12. Nov 1, 2011 #11

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook