Call for ban on "moment ago" on posts.

• Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
In summary, Xenforo software has a feature that defaults to showing posts from a minute ago, which some users find inconvenient. There is no problem with this feature, as it is a tool that is used in physics.
houlahound
It's sloppy terminology for a physics forum - I mean how long is a moment?

First world problem I know, but still.

Physics news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
I mean how long is a moment?
< minute.

Reference, citation?

Presumably you're asking me for a citation when you can do the measurement for yourself? Just pull the trigger on "post," and watch.

Yeah but is < minute a technically correct unit of time moment.

Posts or changes less than one minute old are shown as "a moment ago".

houlahound said:
Yeah but is < minute a technically correct unit of time moment.

Yes.
Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. I don't think the term 'moment' is defined as some exact amount. But does it even matter?

Please don't! If I put this thought to an end we will read figures in Planck units ...

Drakkith said:
But does it even matter?

Good question, i will have to think about it for a moment.

fresh_42 said:
Please don't! If I put this thought to an end we will read figures in Planck units ...

Plank units are too speculative.

A moment was originally a precisely defined amount of time; one fortieth of a solar hour, which was in turn a twelfth of the time between sunrise and sunset (and varied with the time of year). On average a moment was therefore about one and a half minutes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(time)

Likes CalcNerd, jackwhirl, houlahound and 1 other person
houlahound said:
Plank units are too speculative.
They are as speculative as 2+2=4. They are a mathematical tool.

I don't see the problem with "a moment ago". Xenforo does that by default.

mfb said:
They are as speculative as 2+2=4. They are a mathematical tool.

I don't see the problem with "a moment ago". Xenforo does that by default.
Hardly physics...can you show me a 2 in the real world?

Last edited:
Jonathan Scott said:
A moment was originally a precisely defined amount of time; one fortieth of a solar hour, which was in turn a twelfth of the time between sunrise and sunset (and varied with the time of year). On average a moment was therefore about one and a half minutes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_(time)
Then Xenforo software needs an upgrade.

Thanks for the link, interesting.

houlahound said:
Then Xenforo software needs an upgrade.
Why? Just because you don't like a phrase used there?

You are inventing a problem that does not exist.
houlahound said:
Hardly physics...can you show me a 2 in the real world?
Both the Planck units and 2 are mathematical concepts with applications in physics.

OK I have gotten past this issue, thanks for sticking with.

On an educational note I have learned a moment in time is a legitimate scientific quantity based on celestial mechanics via the solar hour.

houlahound said:
OK I have gotten past this issue, thanks for sticking with.

On an educational note I have learned a moment in time is a legitimate scientific quantity based on celestial mechanics via the solar hour.
With that eureka "moment" I am closing this silly thread.

Likes phinds and fresh_42

1. What is the reason for calling for a ban on "moment ago" on posts?

The phrase "moment ago" is often used in social media posts to indicate that something happened recently. However, it is not a precise unit of time and can lead to confusion or misinterpretation of the timing of the event.

2. How would banning "moment ago" on posts affect social media users?

Banning the use of "moment ago" on posts would encourage users to use more precise units of time, such as minutes or hours, which would improve the clarity and accuracy of their posts. It would also prevent the spread of misinformation due to the ambiguity of the phrase.

3. Are there any alternatives to using "moment ago" on posts?

Yes, there are many alternatives that can be used to indicate the timing of an event, such as "a few minutes ago", "an hour ago", or "recently". These phrases are more specific and can convey a clearer understanding of when the event occurred.

4. How can we enforce a ban on "moment ago" on posts?

Enforcing a ban on "moment ago" on posts would be difficult, as it would rely on users voluntarily refraining from using the phrase. However, social media platforms could implement filters or prompts to discourage the use of the phrase and encourage more precise language.

5. What are the potential benefits of banning "moment ago" on posts?

Banning the use of "moment ago" on posts could improve the overall quality of communication on social media, as it would encourage users to be more specific and accurate in their posts. It could also reduce the spread of misinformation and improve the credibility of social media as a source of information.